1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

Hi all,
haven't posted anything in a while so I figured I'd show this dirty piece of silver.
Hunted a new site and spent an hour in the pasty mud with not much to show,
on the steep hillside along the water I noticed lots of scrap metal and trash,
made my way up the hill gathering all the copper and brass I could eyeball.
Turned on the Safari, stock coil was all I had with me,
amazingly I picked a signal from the trash, dug an 1878 IH, check the hole,
another 1878...
check the hole, another signal, different numbers.
Big root in the way, pulled some dirt from underneath, small silver coin :hello2:
Take a close look, hmm 1652, that's familiar. wrap in leaf and secure it.
scan again, another signal. looks to be a Charles II Groat, now that's a rare find over here.

Very Strange, coin spill over older coin spill ? Anyway this was a first for me...

No pix of The IHs or the groat cause they got put somewhere safe in my truck :laughing7:
They'll turn up sometime.

This morning I identified my Oak threepence as a 'Noe-28', an 'R-6, 13-30 examples known' and she appears to be almost uncirculated and well struck (for Ma Silver) under that dirt.
Diagnostics on this one are easy, both legends start at lower left, 5 in date squashed.

Shown as an example is the Wurzbach plate coin of this variety, in the description he notes:

"Crosby could not find a specimen good enough to furnish a proper description. Excessively rare"

I take this to mean that he obtained a better specimen than Crosby, and was right proud of the fact.

Breen notes "All specimens I have examined are dogs, due to weak striking and weakly cut dies".

These quotes give you some idea of the apparent jealousy and competitiveness of collectors and 'experts' on Massachusetts silver.

given the condition of the best example I could find, I think mine is a looker.
Apparently these coins don't appear much in higher grades.

And a photo of a stern Colonial Governor from the period.

Trees seem to be sprouting all over this year.
Thanks for looking & HH Everyone :)

Attachments

• NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 682
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 692
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 697
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 715
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 687
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 680
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks All!
Bill,
I wish it was that easy, research found this site,:icon_study: though I thought the goodies would be in the water.
(Sometimes it is easy, I found 'lot 26' with its slew of early coins & relics, (1796 HC and R6 Rosa) by random iron patch hunting)
I figured that the hillside was built up, and maybe it was.
Some think that filled areas are not worthy of search, but maybe the fill used came from the clearing of a more historic
site than the area it ended up filling :laughing7:
Like a lot of happenings in the MD world, Ya just never know....
since you asked,(blush) my totals are now 8 -17th C silvers, 4 of them are MA Silvers :hello2:
(edited)

Dawg, thanks for the praise ! This one is so much better than the salt finds :)

Hogge, thanks for that confirmation ! It's the same 'R' number as my Oak shilling, but much better shape :hello:

ZDD, I am fascinated with the Feversham, a veritable time capsule that showed the coinage in circulation CA 1710.
I use it as an example to show people that Mass Silvers were commonly used and circulated throughout the colonies and abroad. It left New York with a chest of coins acquired from those currently in circulation before wrecking.
The amount of Mass silver was only exceeded by Spanish coins.
It is a crying shame that beaurocracy has stopped the search for history.
Here's an undocumented and overpriced Feversham Oak Shilling for sale,
I'd say $500 tops if I were in the market for a cleaned shilling :laughing9:
http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/cal..._1652_feversham_shipwreck/320967/Default.aspx

Thanks for all your replies! Trees are everywhere, just gotta get the coil over them :occasion14:

"While in New York City it was recorded on September 4, 1711, that the Feversham was given £569 12s5d from the British treasury office in New York. It is not known if these funds were to be used to pay for the supplies recently acquired or if this was money to be brought to Quebec for future use. In either event it represented the coins then in circulation in New York City. On September 17, 1711 the Feversham along with the three supply ships set sail for Quebec. In the meantine, the British invasion fleet had been wrecked on August 14, 1711 in the St. Lawrence River, but news of the disaster did not reach New York until the day after the Feversham set sail. On Sunday October 7, 1711, during their journey north, the Feversham and the three supply ships sank on the rocks off the shore of Scatari Island near the coast of Nova Scotia. In 1984 the Feversham was found by a private group that conducted salvage operations over the next few years. Among the items found on board were £33 13s in coins, presumably a portion of the allocation that had been obtained in New York City. This hoard contained 8 English silver coins, 22 Dutch coins (Lion dollars), 5 coins from Spain, 504 New World Spanish coins (from one half to 8 reales coins) and 126 pieces of Massachusetts silver."

Last edited:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing :headbang: great find Herbie . Jim

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That's just beyond cool Herbie :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:. Drive your truck down to MA and I will find that groat for you.

Jeff, about the only thing I can keep organized is the photos on my computer...
everything else is a jumble. I 'refound' a bag of dug gold jewelery I had stashed in the tin last time I was craving homemade blueberry muffins.
They are in there somewhere.
PM me about what kind of diggin you like, I'm a Salem native, maybe we get a hunt in...

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jim! Good to hear from you :) I gotta go see Mom, Happy MD and Mothers Day All !! Herbie :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, congrats on condition.

5 17th C Silvers in a year, that is pretty damn impressive, I'm still waiting on number 1.

farmdump

Mar 5, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER! This is a awesome piece of history! Its not every day that you find a coin dating from 1652 in New England! HH!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You find MA silver like others can't even find Spanish! :laughing7:

That coin looks more corroded than pitted so should clean up well.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
WONDERFUL FINDS! I'm in awe of the wonderful coins & historical items that you unearth. Always look forward to seeing more!
My father's ancestors settled in early 1600's in what's now Massachusetts, New Hampshire & Vermont, so colonial items from these states are of special interest to me. My dad, who was born & raised in Keene, N.H. was apparently the first of the family in several hundred years to head south for warmer climes when he moved to Washington, D.C. as a very young man. Several times in the past, I visited the Keene area, which is so beautiful, and saw some of the well-made houses that my great-grandparents & other family members had built with their own hands. These houses are no longer in our family, but it feels good that people still live in & enjoy them. Andi

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE COIN!

Groat:icon_scratch: Are you sure? That would be very unusual!

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man! you guys on the north east have all the great old finds!! nice!!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Wow Herbie! Glad you're still getting out there and finding 1600s silver! That mud hunting is rough and you certainly sink fast, but looks like its worth it in the end with what you've pulled out!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderfull coin Herbie :thumbsup: should look good up top. More to come me thinks.

SS

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Herbie! This is banner all the way!!
Big congrats!!

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a terrific Mass Silver coin. It looks really well-struck with lots of detail. You must be one happy guy! May I ask, are you searching along a shore line that is salt water, fresh water, or brackish water? That three-pence is banner all the way.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson and sharing your find with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread