1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

Hi all,
haven't posted anything in a while so I figured I'd show this dirty piece of silver.
Hunted a new site and spent an hour in the pasty mud with not much to show,
on the steep hillside along the water I noticed lots of scrap metal and trash,
made my way up the hill gathering all the copper and brass I could eyeball.
Turned on the Safari, stock coil was all I had with me,
amazingly I picked a signal from the trash, dug an 1878 IH, check the hole,
another 1878...
check the hole, another signal, different numbers.
Big root in the way, pulled some dirt from underneath, small silver coin :hello2:
Take a close look, hmm 1652, that's familiar. wrap in leaf and secure it.
scan again, another signal. looks to be a Charles II Groat, now that's a rare find over here.

Very Strange, coin spill over older coin spill ? Anyway this was a first for me...

No pix of The IHs or the groat cause they got put somewhere safe in my truck :laughing7:
They'll turn up sometime.

This morning I identified my Oak threepence as a 'Noe-28', an 'R-6, 13-30 examples known' and she appears to be almost uncirculated and well struck (for Ma Silver) under that dirt.
Diagnostics on this one are easy, both legends start at lower left, 5 in date squashed.

Shown as an example is the Wurzbach plate coin of this variety, in the description he notes:

"Crosby could not find a specimen good enough to furnish a proper description. Excessively rare"

I take this to mean that he obtained a better specimen than Crosby, and was right proud of the fact.

Breen notes "All specimens I have examined are dogs, due to weak striking and weakly cut dies".

These quotes give you some idea of the apparent jealousy and competitiveness of collectors and 'experts' on Massachusetts silver.

given the condition of the best example I could find, I think mine is a looker.
Apparently these coins don't appear much in higher grades.

And a photo of a stern Colonial Governor from the period.

Trees seem to be sprouting all over this year.
Thanks for looking & HH Everyone :)

Attachments

• NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 681
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 691
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 696
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 714
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 686
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 679
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
Upvote 41

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great goodie, will have to look up that variety later, but big congratulations are in order, again! :hello2:

Don

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! I've never heard of a coin that old being found in the states. I'm guessing this is extremely rare?

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Don and Digs :)
The Mass silvers were the first coins struck in north america,
and an early sign of the rebellious nature of 'The Colonies',
Not all are rare, but they are all nice to find
occasion14.gif

Info Here, scroll to bottom for links to descriptions and pix of different types:
Massachusetts Bay Silver General Introduction

In 1678 Charles II sent an agent, Edward Randolph to investigate the shortage of taxes being paid by the colonies, in his report he stated:
" As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony, stamped with the inscription masathvsets and a tree in the center on one side, and new england with the year 1652 and the value of the piece on the reverse.
All the mony is stamped with these figures, 1652 that being the era of their common-wealth, wheirin they have erected themselves as a free state, enlarged their dominions, subjected the adjacent colonies under their obedience, and summoned deputies to their own general court, of which year they still commemorate on their coyn"

Not exactly true, the two pences are dated 1662, the reasoning behind this is another point of contention among the 'experts' because all others are dated 1652, (excepting the 'NE' series) though they were minted till 1678 or so...

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
The series is also intriguing because they were not struck chronologically as are todays coins,
evidence shows that some of the earlier designs were struck after later ones started being issued.
Case in point, this example is perfectly round, which points to the planchet being punched before being struck, rather than sheared from a strip after striking.
it is also perfectly flat, evidently not struck in a rocker press which would leave a bend in the coin.
on the other hand I have a Pine tree with the S bend and clipped edges from rocker press strike that should be flat and round from a screw press.
From what I've been reading, John Hull reused dies and striking techniques in somewhat random fashion over the years.
(from "An Historical Introduction to the Coins Of Massachusetts Bay" Stacks Auction House)

Concerning the NE variety Micheal Hodder states: "NE shillings were made on round blanks cut by a cookie-cutter kind on planchet cutter. NE's might have been made at the same time that Willows were, maybe even when Oaks and Pines were, too! Some I've seen look very sophisticated! Some day I'll do a monograph on the MA silver series." Hodder does not dispute the NE's came first, rather he suspects their production may have continued after the advent of the more complex design specified in the October 19, 1652 legislation.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Will

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you got another one goin up top WILL!!!! Beautiful is a understatement.. THANX for not only showin us the coin but given us the KNOWLEDGE on them also bud!!! CONGRATS.... HH

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I think I would have a stroke! Awesome find

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Johnny and Fishstick,
When I find something I like to learn about it, and sharing the information.
Research is really important for site selection too,
I didn't just happen to come across this site randomly, though my OP may give this impression,.
Best Digs All :thumbsup:

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow I think I would have a stroke! Awesome find
Thanks Recon :)
While I was searching the mud, my feet kept getting stuck, twist to break the suction and pull every step.
it was really thick muck, nice workout.
lack of targets was likely that they sunk too deep, most mud has a clay or gravel base 6-8" down, not here, if you don't keep moving, you keep sinking.
I should have skipped the mudsearch, could have gotten my coins and scrap and been back to work in 30 minutes.

Last edited:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Herbie. Very nice coin!!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW - you've done it again Herbie! Isn't that like 3 in the last year or so?? Looks like you're continuing to swing your coil over the right (although muddy) spots. Is this from a site you researched, or just something you stumbled across? We might find older hammered coins down this way, but never heard of a whole Mass silver being dug here in SE Virginia. Please send some down this way. Awesome find ..... again!!!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That's just beyond cool Herbie :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:. Drive your truck down to MA and I will find that groat for you.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow :o that's the way to make a comeback appearance , your Best Mass Tree coin yet .

Banner Worthy Every Day of The Week , Huge Congrats on this one , votes in

Top Shelf Find !

dawg ;)

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Herbie! Noe 28 is ID. Very Rare. R-6....13-30 known. Great coin and ID! BANNER. Detail is awesome!:notworthy::notworthy: Hogge

Last edited:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find(s). Great post.
Banner
Thanks

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, are you guys down in New England planting these things? Lol. Very nice coin and I would say easily Banner worthy.
Just to let you know (if you don't all ready know) that there were several Tree Shillings found up here in NS on a 1711 wreck of the HMS Feversham. But no more will surface, at least not legally due to new laws being passed stopping all salvage of shipwrecks.
Anyway, vote is going in,
Congrats on finding a beautiful coin and a great write up,
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions