Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Rattlesnake button (considered either military or political).... Not listed in Troiani's latest book so this very well might be a new discovery. Easily $1,000+ to a serious buyer.

Write him... Don Troiani [email protected]

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, haven't seen that variety before. There are a lot of different ones out there, most date to right after the Rev. War. Here are a couple I found of a more common variety.

Attachments

• Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 609
OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! Thanks for the info. I bet me and hunting jave dug around 80 barious buttons from this site. Hopefully more of these to come. Really cool

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops that was supposed to read hunting partner

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice discovery! I hope it is a new variety, either way, it's quite valuable! Try to get some better pictures so it will look nice up on the Banner, it certainly has the potential to make it up top! Here is the Rattlesnake button I found last fall:
cleanedbutton.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice discovery! I hope it is a new variety, either way, it's quite valuable! Try to get some better pictures so it will look nice up on the Banner, it certainly has the potential to make it up top! Here is the Rattlesnake button I found last fall:

That's a great photo of your button! You'll have to share your photography tips sometime--I like it :)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this button over the weekend in a field a buddy and i have been detecting. When i got home and cleaned it up a little this is what it looked like:
Has a snake around center with tail in its mouth and 13 stars around edge.
Any help with id and value would be appreciated

Very nice button indeed! If it's not a reproduction (and IronPatch would know) I'd say it's a banner find. BTW IP can you post a reference to the book you mentioned? I'd like to take a look. I'm interested in Colonial button books if anyone has any good references.....Thanks.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great photo of your button! You'll have to share your photography tips sometime--I like it :)

Thank you, but I cannot take credit for the quality of the picture or for the amazing transformation my button underwent when it was properly cleaned by the individual who bought it. It looked nice out of the ground, but none of the silver was visible until it was cleaned up by an unnamed button magician.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice button indeed! If it's not a reproduction (and IronPatch would know) I'd say it's a banner find. BTW IP can you post a reference to the book you mentioned? I'd like to take a look. I'm interested in Colonial button books if anyone has any good references.....Thanks.

No worries about it being a reproduction, and I'd bet this will be the only one known of this particular type. It will definitely be book worthy if another comes out, but considering it took so many years for the last, it's probably unlikely any time soon.

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 358
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 381
  • book3.jpg
    book3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 572

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! Thanks for the info. I bet me and hunting jave dug around 80 barious buttons from this site. Hopefully more of these to come. Really cool

Definitely take a 2nd look at anything with a design! Snake buttons are often found along side Rev War era military. (That's why they are not sure if they are military or political) My guess would be political, but I'm certainly in no position to suggest something over what the book says. Either way that's a very good button.

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tjanks again for all the replies. Ive sure learned alot about buttons the last couple months of digging up buttons. Gonna email don toiani tnite and see if has any more info.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tjanks again for all the replies. Ive sure learned alot about buttons the last couple months of digging up buttons. Gonna email don toiani tnite and see if has any more info.

He would know as much as anyone, but even he will only be able to tell you two things. The first is to confirm in his opinion it's a period Rattle Snake button, and the 2nd, if he's seen the same one before. I would guess the answers will be yes, and no... which is what you want to hear. Let us know what he has to say. By the Way, he is a member here, just doesn't post often.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! But when you contact Don, make sure you spell his name correctly. TROIANI. :thumbsup: He's a great guy and I'm sure would love to see close-ups of this button. (Front and back)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool button...never seen one of this type before. My banner vote is in.

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button over the weekend in a field a buddy and i have been detecting. When i got home and cleaned it up a little this is what it looked like:
Has a snake around center with tail in its mouth and 13 stars around edge.
Any help with id and value would be appreciated

Very Cool button ! One of the nicest I've seen posted.
My guess could be from as far back as 1750's French & Indian Wars, but :dontknow:
I would also like to see more closer pics, front & Back.

keep us updated :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take some more pics when i get home tonight. Thanks all

OP
OP
jdsly

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple more pics of button. Hope these are a little better.

This is what it looked like just out of ground. Little blurry but i think you can still see.

Attachments

• image-4220636936.jpg
    image-4220636936.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 246
  • image-2365385727.jpg
    image-2365385727.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 243
  • image-1250384722.jpg
    image-1250384722.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 182

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread