My recent finds including a 2 cent!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Found a nice field that I believe confederate soldiers camped on. I found various items, but the best are: A cuff button with a clover, a flat button with a design on the back like this: ->>>>*<<<<-, a large button with a design on it (can't tell what it is yet), and the best find of the day, an 1869 2 cent. Sorry the pics suck, my cell phone camera doesn't do well with close ups.

Attachments

• Photo_011807_007.jpg
    Photo_011807_007.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 620
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Dave. If you think they camped there...there is probably more in the area. Good luck & kudos!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! Do you know what the chances are finding a 2 cent piece? Next to none! WOW :o

Nat

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Looks like a nice field to hunt

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal~

HH

D

doyboy

I didn't know the Civil War lasted until 1869. There must have been something else there after the war. I found an 1864 last year with a rotated die strike error. You did well, bud!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent job Dave....See if you can get a better pic if you can,love to see it....Guaranteed this won't be the last...Good Luck!!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Tsgman

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! :o

;) RR

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
doyboy said:
I didn't know the Civil War lasted until 1869. There must have been something else there after the war. I found an 1864 last year with a rotated die strike error. You did well, bud!

Come on Doyboy, you know these silly Redneck Southerners... The war is still going on, and the "South Will Rise Again!!!"
Of course there was something else going on there... So far in the last week the field has let up 4 large cents, one 2 cent and one 3 cent.
About 18 buttons (at least 3 are for sure confederate, the others are period pieces most likely civilian turned military).
Mucho amounts of camp lead, and a pistol handle from 1910~1930 pistol.

Actually I've moved on from that field for now, going to let it catch a breather until next years crop is brought in.
I've actually gotten permission to hunt a county seat dating from 1670 with a courthouse from 1723. Confederate military recruited out of the courthouse early in the war, and Gen. Burnside made his way through the area on his way to Roanoke Island. Most research says the courthouse area was occupied throughout the war by Union troops, and graves of those troops have been found up to 4 miles from the courthouse.
Myself and a friend have hit an area behind the courthouse lightly, and so far it has produced a button, a possible horse bridle buckle, a musket ball, a rim fired cartridge and large amounts of camp lead.
Oh, and ungodly amounts of sterling silver soda cans and alumium slaw. LOL

And to answer someones question on the 2 center condition, I think it is about VF~EF condition. The details are perfect, one slight scratch along the obverse, and some wear on the edges from sitting in a field for 140 years, but other than that, beautiful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread