coins at the snow dump

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
an old timer was telling me yesterday about how they used to dump all of the snow into the river near the tug boat docks and in the summertime he'd go snorkeling and find lots of coins there. well now due to enviromental regulations they can no longer dump it into the river, but as most of the major towns and cities still have to get rid of the snow they usually have a nearby location to put it all such as a nearby farm or a town yard, i just figured i'd mention it so that if things ever thaw out you may have a new place to check out ;) , good luck, let us know if it pans out.
Pat.

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I like to tell folks now and then about a place called "The Pit" at a former place of employment. Me and several of the guys in my group would take our lunch or morning break there. All the snow from the aprking lots was dumped there. We would recover lots of id badges of course, these would be used to scrape ice and then dropped all over the lots. But a lot of people would keep there tags in those plastic covers and drop them. Well the vending and cafeteria services went to debit cards and guess what else went in to the id holders? Debit cards! Occasional cash, but cards with values up to $20 were found sometimes three or four a day. We'd return them when found with an ID but all unsigned, individual drops would feed us. Once a week we'd have a free pizza party for us and who ever we felt like inviting to the lab.

Tools, coinage and occaisonal jewelry came up as well. Lots of cell phones, pagers as well, but then it was a cell phone mfr building.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread