Find this flintlock pistol 2 weeks ago what era?

Mitchell_smith

Nov 10, 2012
Find this flintlock pistol 2 weeks ago what era?

image-2539577998.jpg

image-2702030527.jpg

image-2731396082.jpg

Upvote 1

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Considering the wood looks new I'm going with a reproduction as well, still a very cool find. Where did you find it?

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something just doesn't look right. It almost looks like someone cut down a percussion cap muzzle loader, and made a pistol out of it. :dontknow:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look to me like a kit gun, based on the unfinished look of the wood. I've built a few like it over the years. It reminds me of an old Lyman kit I've seen but it could also be a Pedersoli, or Traditions gun. It's actually a percussion lock rather than flint. Can you get some photos up close of the lock and the barrel? There should be a name on it somewhere near the drum. I see a lot of black powder kit guns like this that look like they've been laying in a barn for 200 years even though they are only maybe 40 years old or less. The reason is that people put them together and generally didn't finish them properly, then fired them a few times until the novelty wore off and didn't know how to clean them right. Black powder residue is highly corrosive and it'll really do a number on a barrel pretty fast if it's not cleaned right.

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like something is in the barrel. you might want to check that out as it could be an unfired load. With the nipple missing I doubt the powder would still be good, but it would still be a good idea to clear it if it is. Can you get one another shot looking straight down at the top of the barrel at the breech end? and of each side of the barrel also at the breech?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a kit gun that came out in the 1960s or 1970's, I put one together back then. 40 years in the elements will make anything look pretty old.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
It really appears to be a reproduction kit due to lack of age patina on the outside and I have built them before ... BUT (and that's a BIG BUT) the patina by the Trigger seams more aged and the inside of the barrel does as well . This could be a pistol crudely cleaned up for visual appearance by someone who lacked the skills to do it right . So right now it's a 50-50 call , real ? reproduction ? I'd like to see it completely tore down and see what is underneath the plates . Usally there will be part numbers or dates/signatures . IMHO , Woodstock

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about the acid content in the soil in your area:dontknow:, but where I live wood ,bone and any other organic material does not last long at all. If I were to guess I would say that is a kit gun also. It is a real good find, I bet your heart was pumping when you frist saw part of in the drit.Keep onMDing. HH:hello2:

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Funny how the brass looks near mint condition on one side, but all rusted on the other. You found that thing in a field? I would think being in a farm field that barrel would have been straight locked up with mud/rust/grit and pretty much closed shut. Interesting find.

DH24

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deffinetly a kit gun.. The screws give it away in my opinion.. Either way digging up a gun must have been neat..

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess would be it's a CVA kit gun. There should be writing on the barrel that says, "Black Powder Only," also either Connecticut Valley Arms, or Traditions, something like that, which will be a dead give away. Writing should be on top of the barrel, or on a flat near the breech opposite the lock. If you could find an old Dixie Gun Works catalog from the 70's, you would find the gun listed in that. It's still a neat find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread