First Silver of the Year...Scratched on off the list!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out last Tuesday evening for a quick evening hunt at local school. Wasn't expecting to find a whole lot while walking around a soccer field, but got two nice surprises. First surprise was a solid 11-43 on the Etrac about 3" deep. Thought it was going to be a clad dime/penny, but was surprised to pull out a King George III copper coin. I think it's a late 1700's date, but can't confirm. I think they call this a cartwheel? Scratched the lady on the back a bit...I'll admit I was careless when digging, since I suspected it a dime/penny.

The second surprise was a solid 11-27 on the Etrac, and about 3" deep as well. I was suspecting this tone to be a pulltab, or shotgun shell, but I was surprised when I slipped a silver disc outta the hole. Got my very first 3 Cent piece. Date of 1853. Not a bad first silver coin of the year. I can scratch that off my wishlist of coins to find now! 8-)

Happy Hunting Everyone!

-Nate

Attachments

• 14May13_king_george_collage.jpg
    14May13_king_george_collage.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 111
  • 14May13_three_cent.jpg
    14May13_three_cent.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 4

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the KG copper and trime. :icon_thumleft: I don't think the KG is a cartwheel though.

I was under the impression that a KG with the lady sitting on the wheel was called a cartwheel. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm happy with the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread