Odd rock - Its round, smooth, hollow and tough... Ive no idea what it is really.

zerosimms

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd rock - It's round, smooth, hollow and tough... I've no idea what it is really.

So today I discovered this odd rock in the middle of the English country side (North downs, Kent) to be precise.
It caught my attention and I originally thought it was a moldy bouncy ball, but as soon as I lifted it I realized it wasn't.

8755356618_535ea02e1a_z.jpg

I'm totally lost as to what it is, so any feedback would be great.

I've done a bit of research and stumbled across 'clay marbles' but I'm not convinced it is one due to the exterior of the stone.
Here is a video which may give you more visual information than the photo. Any help/thoughts/comments greatly appreciated :)

Upvote 0

MoJoe

Nov 17, 2009
Saint Charles, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Fisher F2, Fisher F Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you shine a light in it can you see any crystals inside? I was just thinking a geode with a hole in it?

OP
OP
Z

zerosimms

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you shine a light in it can you see any crystals inside? I was just thinking a geode with a hole in it?

Not really, the hole's are so small that any light that does get in there causes great shadows. I'll research geode, never heard of them/it before :)

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check to see if it is metallic? Ferrous?

Maybe you should talk to a local archeologist.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and don't chip it or cut it in-case it is a valuable artifact.

OP
OP
Z

zerosimms

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check to see if it is metallic? Ferrous?

Maybe you should talk to a local archeologist.

I checked if it was magnetic or not, as far as I can tell it's not magnetic at all. I'll see if we have a local archeologist, good idea :)

Just wondered if there was going to be an obvious answer, guess it's very hard to diagnose over the internet

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you speak to the archeologist ask if could be something like a 'sprinckloit'. These were hollow balls filled with black powder and a fuse that were the early handgrenades.

You should also try to find a local geologist. Your county probably has one on staff. It is possible it is a natural formation like a geode or moqui ball.

Stone ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread