FRENCH COLONIAL COPPER, DOUBLE Spanish Silver, and Military!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It's been quite a busy two day hunt for us. Let me just say that you will want to see the video. In the past 48 hours we have added TWO to our Spanish silver total (for a total of 11 this year!), I dug my oldest coin ever, and I got a scarce War of 1812 button that I have never seen one of posted on this forum before!

So here's the story...

I met up with Shanegalang to do some "boots on the ground" time tracking down a new site. We found the site, although it was small and sparse with finds. I dug the military button not long into the hunt, and suspected it was military, but didn't know for certain until I got home. It turned out to be a Regiment of Artillerists button 1811-1813. This is a type that I have not personally dug before, and have not seen posted on the forum. Later on, Old Shanegalang got a nice 1797 one real! Then we got up early the next day and put another all-day hunt in. The finds were thin, but they were there. I dug two pocket watch winders, several interesting flat buttons, and eyeballed a trade bead. But really it was 8 hours into the hunt before anything decent was dug. (Mainly because I didn't recognize my oldest coin when I dug it--I thought it was a brass washer due to the hole in the center!). I got a nice 1831 Mexican Republic one real to end the day, and only upon cleaning and investigating my random brass bits from the field did I see the date on the coin I dug--1722!!!! :hello2:

Folks, always, Always, ALWAYS clean your random brass/junk finds! Only throw away or recycle things that you are certain are junk. If I had tossed that handful of brass into the trash, or the recycling bin I would've never known!

Here are the photos of these great finds, and a link to the video. :)

Here's the 1Real Shane dug:

1R Shan.jpg 1R Shan rev.jpg

And the Regiment of Artillerists button I dug. It was nice that the shank was attached. :headbang:

Regt Art.JPG

A nice civilian two-piece gilded button:

gilt.JPG

The backmark on this large sized flat button was interesting (eagle and banner):

HPIM4069.JPG

Now for three eyeball finds. First, a "Russian Blue" trade bead:

HPIM4066.JPG

A very short (1.5" long) grey clay pipe with the bowl broken off:

pipe.JPG

And a large two-hole button made of bone:

HPIM4070.JPG

My beautiful 1Real. It's nice to finally dig a cap and rays style Real. Shane has dug a cap and rays Big 8, and an eye-popping 2Reales.

1R obv.JPG 1R rev.JPG

And my French 9 Deniers copper. It is a Colonies Francoises copper dated 1722 ("H" mintmark). These were made specifically for French colonial possessions, and thus they saw limited circulation in Canada and French Louisiana. I am absolutely thrilled to dig this (you can tell by the photo why I didn't think much of it out in the field!). Recovering something French Colonial was a major goal of mine down here. If you are not familiar with these coins, you will want to read the 1-page article in the link below from CoinWorld. It describes this coin as "America's first copper." (the link takes a moment to load.)

First 'American' coppers | Coin World

It appears that these coppers are very seldom dug.

obv.JPG

Here's a non-dug example for comparison (click the photo to enlarge it):

collage.jpg

And here is a photo of all the finds. I actually dug the spout off a Colonial Era copper teapot! Crazy!

HPIM4072.JPG

Here's a Georgian Teapot that is almost an exact match to the spout I dug. The auction house lists this as c.1760-1800, English-made:

c.1760-1800, English.jpg

The Lewis & Tomes flat button above the clay pipe bowl is a beauty. Almost all of its gilding remains.

HPIM4075.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 22

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and Shanegalang find the most amazing things. Congrats on your oldest coin--and furthering your legend!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy too.
Early french is hard to come by, I do kind of "expect" to hit one some day, but as you saw of the 500,000 sent here, over 490,000 were sent back out, tough, but possible.

Good hunt.

I also like the large crooked stem pipe.

That is a Georgian copper teapot spout, very close in style to this one. :)

copper kettle.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Georgian copper teapot spout, very close in style to this one. :)

View attachment 799097

Cheers,

Buck

OK, looked a lot like a pipe, and it was in your "eye ball" pile

EDIT, Oops, guess I didn't read the OP very well, something I "usually" try hard to do.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very cool finds BB! And great words of wisdom about IDing your finds!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds BB! And great words of wisdom about IDing your finds!

Yeah, I've found some goodies in the junk bin before, but this one really takes the cake!

Cheers,

Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - you guys continue to amaze me with your consistent and quality finds. I knew it wouldn't be long before the silver would start flowing again. And nice catch on that 1722 copper. I've found a couple nice ones before in my junk pile, and definitely learned a lesson that I would ever forget. Great going guys!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - you guys continue to amaze me with your consistent and quality finds. I knew it wouldn't be long before the silver would start flowing again. And nice catch on that 1722 copper. I've found a couple nice ones before in my junk pile, and definitely learned a lesson that I would ever forget. Great going guys!!

Thanks for your reply, Bill. You know, until we started to figure out a couple things about Louisiana, the finds weren't consistently good. Now it's not a question of "if" but "when" on the good finds, as we understand more about what it takes down here, from research to sites. And with about 40,000 acres of permissions, we have many options we've never explored yet, and won't explore for some time. Of course, with the 3 year cycle of sugar cane planting that means that some sites there is no point in returning to for 2 more years, and others are off limits in growing crop...

Regards,

Buckles

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like to see what you find from those Cane fields Will....love that Silver Spansh :thumbsup:

SS

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! The oldest coin I've dug so far is an 1801 large cent.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always liked that mix... military and old silver and copper coins. Those 9 Deniers don't turn up often, even at early French sites, and I know this because I have hunted a lot of them... at least that is the case in my area. Here the main coins are Liards, Double Tournois, 6 Deniers, 30 Deniers (Musketeers), Double Sols, rarely some silver Ecu coinage, and I believe Ironhorse has found 2 of those 9 Deniers. For non French... George I & II coppers, and Spanish cobs with the odd Pistareen. Anything outside that is quite uncommon. So anywhere a 9 Deniers can turn up everything I named can also be around.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:....need a "shaking the head",emoticon....
What can I say?You guys are killin it!!!I want to find a Mexican Real in the worst way...they arent uncommon here,and I have dug a ton of Spanish silver,just cant get a Mexican silver under my coil!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on hitting a new site and pulling out some nice oldies and some "firsts". Amazing that the teapot stem wasn't beat up by the plow like so many other things in those canefields.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like to see what you find from those Cane fields Will....love that Silver Spansh :thumbsup:

SS

Thanks for your reply, my friend! Great avatar photo! I'd love some old gold here. After 20+ years of searching, it's due anytime!

Great finds! The oldest coin I've dug so far is an 1801 large cent.

As a former Southwestern Virginia hunter, I can tell you that while older sites than your 1801 are few, they are there! It's just a matter of time. Thanks for your reply Stonewall!

Always liked that mix... military and old silver and copper coins. Those 9 Deniers don't turn up often, even at early French sites, and I know this because I have hunted a lot of them... at least that is the case in my area. Here the main coins are Liards, Double Tournois, 6 Deniers, 30 Deniers (Musketeers), Double Sols, rarely some silver Ecu coinage, and I believe Ironhorse has found 2 of those 9 Deniers. For non French... George I & II coppers, and Spanish cobs with the odd Pistareen. Anything outside that is quite uncommon. So anywhere a 9 Deniers can turn up everything I named can also be around.

I had always suspected that my first French colonial coin would be a Liard. I wouldn't expect to dig a KG copper here.

:laughing7:....need a "shaking the head",emoticon....
What can I say?You guys are killin it!!!I want to find a Mexican Real in the worst way...they arent uncommon here,and I have dug a ton of Spanish silver,just cant get a Mexican silver under my coil!!

LOL thanks, friend! There is a Mexican Real for you somewhere! I had never dug a cap and rays Mex Rep until now, so it can happen.

Congrats on hitting a new site and pulling out some nice oldies and some "firsts". Amazing that the teapot stem wasn't beat up by the plow like so many other things in those canefields.

The teapot spout was below plow depth. I dug down in the bottom of a cane row close to two feet to get it.

Best Wishes,

Buck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congrats on the coinage and the relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread