FRENCH COLONIAL COPPER, DOUBLE Spanish Silver, and Military!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It's been quite a busy two day hunt for us. Let me just say that you will want to see the video. In the past 48 hours we have added TWO to our Spanish silver total (for a total of 11 this year!), I dug my oldest coin ever, and I got a scarce War of 1812 button that I have never seen one of posted on this forum before!

So here's the story...

I met up with Shanegalang to do some "boots on the ground" time tracking down a new site. We found the site, although it was small and sparse with finds. I dug the military button not long into the hunt, and suspected it was military, but didn't know for certain until I got home. It turned out to be a Regiment of Artillerists button 1811-1813. This is a type that I have not personally dug before, and have not seen posted on the forum. Later on, Old Shanegalang got a nice 1797 one real! Then we got up early the next day and put another all-day hunt in. The finds were thin, but they were there. I dug two pocket watch winders, several interesting flat buttons, and eyeballed a trade bead. But really it was 8 hours into the hunt before anything decent was dug. (Mainly because I didn't recognize my oldest coin when I dug it--I thought it was a brass washer due to the hole in the center!). I got a nice 1831 Mexican Republic one real to end the day, and only upon cleaning and investigating my random brass bits from the field did I see the date on the coin I dug--1722!!!! :hello2:

Folks, always, Always, ALWAYS clean your random brass/junk finds! Only throw away or recycle things that you are certain are junk. If I had tossed that handful of brass into the trash, or the recycling bin I would've never known!

Here are the photos of these great finds, and a link to the video. :)

Here's the 1Real Shane dug:

1R Shan.jpg 1R Shan rev.jpg

And the Regiment of Artillerists button I dug. It was nice that the shank was attached. :headbang:

Regt Art.JPG

A nice civilian two-piece gilded button:

gilt.JPG

The backmark on this large sized flat button was interesting (eagle and banner):

HPIM4069.JPG

Now for three eyeball finds. First, a "Russian Blue" trade bead:

HPIM4066.JPG

A very short (1.5" long) grey clay pipe with the bowl broken off:

pipe.JPG

And a large two-hole button made of bone:

HPIM4070.JPG

My beautiful 1Real. It's nice to finally dig a cap and rays style Real. Shane has dug a cap and rays Big 8, and an eye-popping 2Reales.

1R obv.JPG 1R rev.JPG

And my French 9 Deniers copper. It is a Colonies Francoises copper dated 1722 ("H" mintmark). These were made specifically for French colonial possessions, and thus they saw limited circulation in Canada and French Louisiana. I am absolutely thrilled to dig this (you can tell by the photo why I didn't think much of it out in the field!). Recovering something French Colonial was a major goal of mine down here. If you are not familiar with these coins, you will want to read the 1-page article in the link below from CoinWorld. It describes this coin as "America's first copper." (the link takes a moment to load.)

First 'American' coppers | Coin World

It appears that these coppers are very seldom dug.

obv.JPG

Here's a non-dug example for comparison (click the photo to enlarge it):

collage.jpg

And here is a photo of all the finds. I actually dug the spout off a Colonial Era copper teapot! Crazy!

HPIM4072.JPG

Here's a Georgian Teapot that is almost an exact match to the spout I dug. The auction house lists this as c.1760-1800, English-made:

c.1760-1800, English.jpg

The Lewis & Tomes flat button above the clay pipe bowl is a beauty. Almost all of its gilding remains.

HPIM4075.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 22

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great hunt!!:occasion14: You don't see anything like that very often . ED

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always enjoy your posts BuckleBoy. You guys make some tremendous finds. Congrats on your latest. :notworthy:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to you both & a BIG congrats to you in honor of your oldest coin. Just another reason to examine finds carefully. I wish I had eyeballed a trade bead down there. WTG, Q.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Great looking finds...it's been a few months since my last silver coin! Congrats on your oldest coin!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I really enjoyed the video and congrats on your oldest coin find. I will try to keep my barefoot one tooth cousin from poaching your site.LOL

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Buckleboy. I would certainly be happy with a day like that. :thumbsup:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds... I really enjoy your posts and thanks for sharing your finds.. Congrats.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you both & a BIG congrats to you in honor of your oldest coin. Just another reason to examine finds carefully. I wish I had eyeballed a trade bead down there. WTG, Q.

We are going to get you a trade bead, my friend. Just bring your binoculars. They are hard to see!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice French copper Buck and that two piece civilian button is beautiful!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Great looking finds...it's been a few months since my last silver coin! Congrats on your oldest coin!

Thank you so much, my friend. That next silver is waiting for you. :)

I really enjoyed the video and congrats on your oldest coin find. I will try to keep my barefoot one tooth cousin from poaching your site.LOL

Haha, Good one! You might want to tell him to wear shoes. Louisiana mud feels mighty nasty in between the toes! :D

Nice finds Buckleboy. I would certainly be happy with a day like that. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it'll be tough to top...but one never knows. I will have to hope to dig a cob now. :D But seriously, anything French Colonial here has been a dream until now.

Cheers,

Buck

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Will!!!!!! :hello2: That is one old coin Dude! I just dug my oldest a few months ago and you beat me by 53 years. :notworthy:
You guys have been pulling some great stuff out of those fields there in Gumboland. Congrats to both of you and keep up the good work.
Any snakes yet?
-Doug-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Will!!!!!! :hello2: That is one old coin Dude! I just dug my oldest a few months ago and you beat me by 53 years. :notworthy:
You guys have been pulling some great stuff out of those fields there in Gumboland. Congrats to both of you and keep up the good work.
Any snakes yet?
-Doug-

GREAT to hear from you, my friend! Congrats on your oldest one. It gets to the point where it's tough to beat unless you are Bill D in Virginia :D

We've seen a couple snakes, and I keep telling Shane that he needs to whack one with his shovel so we can have a photo op. :laughing7:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are killing it! I love the Spanish silver!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection !!
BTW, your Mexican 1R is from the Guanajuato, Mexico mint as noted by the small 'o' within the large 'G'; after the '1R'.
Don.....

Awesome information! I've never dug a Guanajuato example. Thanks, Don!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy too.
Early french is hard to come by, I do kind of "expect" to hit one some day, but as you saw of the 500,000 sent here, over 490,000 were sent back out, tough, but possible.

Good hunt.

I also like the large crooked stem pipe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread