Found Spanish silver 4 Reale? Along the Maine coast

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Found Spanish silver 4 Reale? Along the Maine coast w/pics

Hello everyone, been a while since I've logged on but I just had to share this one. I can find no date but I don't think the early ones had a date. Its about 1 3/8" in diameter. I had it cleaned in a jewelers ultrasonic blaster as it was nearly impossible to see enough detail to identify it before. I believe it to be a 4 Reale Spanish silver cob. If you know for sure what it is I'd appreciate your help.
It's the strangest story how I found it. We were camping (somewhere along the Maine coast):wink: and were planning on detecting but someone had been in the area before us and had left a bunch of holes unfilled, Idiot! So my bro and I decided we would go around and fill in all the holes we found before we would bother taking our machines out so as to avoid the nasty looks and comments from anyone else who may be in the area. As we reached the end of our mission I just happened to spy this thing right on top of the ground in the middle of a trail with no holes anywhere around! At first I thought its just a sea worn rock almost a perfect circle then I thought the old Spanish coins aren't perfectly round so I picked it up. Immediately I started to see enough detail to have a good idea what I had. I said "hey bro do ya know what I got?" "Spanish silver!!!" We immediately start hooting and high fivin' shaking hands and hugging.
My Dad suggested maybe the guy we were filling holes after found it and lost it. It was impressed into the trail though as if it had just been exposed due to erosion. I have a hard time believing someone would find something like this and not take every precaution to ensure that it not be lost. Personally I would swallow it and collect it later in a colander before I took any chances of losing it! We took our detectors back to the spot and searched all around and found nothing else. The area is reputed to have a pirate treasure somewhere so we'll definitely go back.
I've looked at a lot of pics online but can't find one just like it. It has a very prominent R to the right of the shield and appears to be a P to the left. Any help with positive I.D. again, would be appreciated. Thanks for reading, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 184
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 193
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
I agree with Buckle Boy and Cru, it looks from the pics like a reproduction. Sorry

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A genuine 4 Reale that early would be insanely rare to dig there, just too bad it's not authentic. You seldom see 4 Reales of any age posted so even before the pics went on I was expecting a fake coin, or at least knew there was a much better chance it would be a repro. than legit.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are actually "worried" about whether someone dug a counterfeit or not?

Really?

Some things never change Bucks!

I thought that the question mark in his post title meant that he wanted more information about his find.

Thanks Dan. Glad you made one of your bi-annual posts on this forum just to fire a shot across my bow. Seriously, I didn't even know you were still a member here.

:D

-Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly when I first saw the picture something just didn't seem right with it....who knows.

Yes, anyone who has seen enough Reales would be suspect of the authenticity.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Update: Spanish 4 reale found along Maine coast is Repro.

Hey Guys and girls, just wanted to update you on this coin. Like I said the thought that it may be a repro had crossed my mind but after Buckleboy and Crusader gave their opinions it got my mind headed that way a little more. And yes, Buckleboy the question mark in my title DID indicate that I wanted I.D. help. Anyway I did an online search for repro coins of this type and I found one I believe to be identical on a site called Pirate fashions and photos. It pops up as soon as you enter the site.
I must explain my reasoning for thinking and hoping it was real. First, I think when most of us find something our minds don't go to repro automatically but I guess I need to re-train my mind. Secondly, the area I found it in was settle in the 1630's. Thirdly, some coins just don't sink. I've found both a seated half and a seated dime right on top. Also if a coin is in a trail sometimes foot traffic will expose it. Lastly I've found 1/2 reales 1 reales and 2 reales so why not a 4 reale?
This coin was most likely placed there by the same meathead that dug holes everywhere without filling them to do just exactly what it did, to deceive and get some poor sap all worked up. I guess it worked and unfortunately I was the poor sap this time. I sure would like to wrap that dudes detector around his neck not only for what he did with the repro coin but for being so short sighted and taking a chance on ruining the reputation of us all and giving the anti-detectorists more ammo.
Thank you to all who replied and took interest, especially to BuckleBoy and Crusader for keeping me level headed and bringing me back down to earth enough to look at this logically and discover its true identity. Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys and girls, just wanted to update you on this coin. Like I said the thought that it may be a repro had crossed my mind but after Buckleboy and Crusader gave their opinions it got my mind headed that way a little more. And yes, Buckleboy the question mark in my title DID indicate that I wanted I.D. help. Anyway I did an online search for repro coins of this type and I found one I believe to be identical on a site called Pirate fashions and photos. It pops up as soon as you enter the site.
I must explain my reasoning for thinking and hoping it was real. First, I think when most of us find something our minds don't go to repro automatically but I guess I need to re-train my mind. Secondly, the area I found it in was settle in the 1630's. Thirdly, some coins just don't sink. I've found both a seated half and a seated dime right on top. Also if a coin is in a trail sometimes foot traffic will expose it. Lastly I've found 1/2 reales 1 reales and 2 reales so why not a 4 reale?
This coin was most likely placed there by the same meathead that dug holes everywhere without filling them to do just exactly what it did, to deceive and get some poor sap all worked up. I guess it worked and unfortunately I was the poor sap this time. I sure would like to wrap that dudes detector around his neck not only for what he did with the repro coin but for being so short sighted and taking a chance on ruining the reputation of us all and giving the anti-detectorists more ammo.
Thank you to all who replied and took interest, especially to BuckleBoy and Crusader for keeping me level headed and bringing me back down to earth enough to look at this logically and discover its true identity. Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
Maybe that meat-head that dug all the holes is trying to discourage others from hunting they that area. By leaving the holes open and planting fakes people will seak other locations to hunt. I think you should still pound that site and, yes fill his holes too, just to pi$$ him off.
ZDD

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that meat-head that dug all the holes is trying to discourage others from hunting they that area. By leaving the holes open and planting fakes people will seak other locations to hunt. I think you should still pound that site and, yes fill his holes too, just to pi$$ him off.
ZDD

Then after your done pounding it take two handfuls of penny's and throw then in the air over the spot

Scouts out!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why am I left the one to do this all the time. Well, I hate to say, but as you asked for an ID, I will give my thoughts:
Its a cast reproduction.
sorry, but I have to agree with Crusader

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To bad it's not real I had my hopes up for you as well.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have a great attitude, I hate giving bad news or busting bubbles, but I guess I hate it less than making sure the facts get out.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lastly I've found 1/2 reales 1 reales and 2 reales so why not a 4 reale?

I've probably dug over 200 early military buttons so why never a marked belt plate? That's because buttons (and smaller reales) are way more common than marked plates (and 4 reales) Even 8 reales turn up way more often than a 4... But when you start talking such an early Spanish silver that alone is a whole new element of rarity even without looking at the denomination. Sure that coin is possible as any coin is possible, but a genuine one in the North East would be beyond rare. So rare I'd have to make my way to your area just to shake your hand.... and hunt your site. :)

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad, Bootstrap. Next time you'll get one!

Best Wishes,

Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
This coin was most likely placed there by the same meathead that dug holes everywhere without filling them to do just exactly what it did, to deceive and get some poor sap all worked up.
I thought so too. It's all in fun. been on both sides of that fence, I buy repros whenever I see them at flea markets for
careful placement, and dug a few of my own.
Not an expert, but isn't that a Seville issue? If so, it would be a scarcer find than a New World issue..
I got a Mexico 4 ca 1620s down this way, so they're out there.
Now it's your turn to 'lose' that coin at some site :laughing7: HH !

Last edited:
OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
You have a great attitude, I hate giving bad news or busting bubbles, but I guess I hate it less than making sure the facts get out.
Thanks Crusader and everyone else. IronPatch posted pics of coins from the Baron Castine hoard found in Castine Maine and I have been to the Maine Historical Society in Portland and actually had a private viewing and photo session with the Richmond Island treasure thought to have been buried there by Great Walt Bagnall. My Dad wrote an article on it and actually got the cover story in Lost Treasure magazine in early 2012. So I know although rare its definitely possible. Also I have previously mentioned here (Crusader will probably remember) the fact that in 2003 my dad dug an 87 A.D. Roman bronze emperor Domitias (spelling?) on the coast of Maine which WAS authenticated and also became a Lost Treasure article. Probably the oldest coin ever dug in the U.S. and very ancient at the time a reale of this style would have been minted so I really have no doubt of the possibilities. As my tag line says "You never know what your gonna pull out-the ground!" HH, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Crusader and everyone else. IronPatch posted pics of coins from the Baron Castine hoard found in Castine Maine and I have been to the Maine Historical Society in Portland and actually had a private viewing and photo session with the Richmond Island treasure thought to have been buried there by Great Walt Bagnall. My Dad wrote an article on it and actually got the cover story in Lost Treasure magazine in early 2012. So I know although rare its definitely possible. Also I have previously mentioned here (Crusader will probably remember) the fact that in 2003 my dad dug an 87 A.D. Roman bronze emperor Domitias (spelling?) on the coast of Maine which WAS authenticated and also became a Lost Treasure article. Probably the oldest coin ever dug in the U.S. and very ancient at the time a reale of this style would have been minted so I really have no doubt of the possibilities. As my tag line says "You never know what your gonna pull out-the ground!" HH, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
Now that is cool! Very inspirational to those of us in Maine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread