Found Spanish silver 4 Reale? Along the Maine coast

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Found Spanish silver 4 Reale? Along the Maine coast w/pics

Hello everyone, been a while since I've logged on but I just had to share this one. I can find no date but I don't think the early ones had a date. Its about 1 3/8" in diameter. I had it cleaned in a jewelers ultrasonic blaster as it was nearly impossible to see enough detail to identify it before. I believe it to be a 4 Reale Spanish silver cob. If you know for sure what it is I'd appreciate your help.
It's the strangest story how I found it. We were camping (somewhere along the Maine coast):wink: and were planning on detecting but someone had been in the area before us and had left a bunch of holes unfilled, Idiot! So my bro and I decided we would go around and fill in all the holes we found before we would bother taking our machines out so as to avoid the nasty looks and comments from anyone else who may be in the area. As we reached the end of our mission I just happened to spy this thing right on top of the ground in the middle of a trail with no holes anywhere around! At first I thought its just a sea worn rock almost a perfect circle then I thought the old Spanish coins aren't perfectly round so I picked it up. Immediately I started to see enough detail to have a good idea what I had. I said "hey bro do ya know what I got?" "Spanish silver!!!" We immediately start hooting and high fivin' shaking hands and hugging.
My Dad suggested maybe the guy we were filling holes after found it and lost it. It was impressed into the trail though as if it had just been exposed due to erosion. I have a hard time believing someone would find something like this and not take every precaution to ensure that it not be lost. Personally I would swallow it and collect it later in a colander before I took any chances of losing it! We took our detectors back to the spot and searched all around and found nothing else. The area is reputed to have a pirate treasure somewhere so we'll definitely go back.
I've looked at a lot of pics online but can't find one just like it. It has a very prominent R to the right of the shield and appears to be a P to the left. Any help with positive I.D. again, would be appreciated. Thanks for reading, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 184
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 193
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't open your thumbnails but I can tell you a fast way to determine the denomination: If your coin weighs about 13.54 grams or slightly less, it's a 4R. And if the date is unreadable, there are still ways to determine a close range of the mint date if the monarch and/or the assayer's initials are legible.
Don....

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few people have said that they are having problems posting pics today

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you have done the swallowing and colander thing before! How did you come up with such a plan? Congrats on a very nice find, that would never happen to me due to "old eyes"! I hope you can narrow down the date a lot more precisely! Keep looking and good luck to you!

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats that's what get for doing the right thing

Scouts out!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't find an exact match, but the style is nearly identical to the early 1600s cob style 4 reales shown in my Krause book. Maybe that will give you a good starting point. I'll keep looking too, but I feel fairly confident on the dating. Great find!! Actually, if its 1-3/8" in diameter it may actually be a slightly clipped 8 reales coin. And in the last pic the date would be at the top center of the coin, and I think I can see the "1" just left of center. But from the pic it appears the rest of the digits are gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
It sounds like you have done the swallowing and colander thing before! How did you come up with such a plan? Congrats on a very nice find, that would never happen to me due to "old eyes"! I hope you can narrow down the date a lot more precisely! Keep looking and good luck to you!
Thanks Sawyer, I actually got that from an episode of "Two and a Half Men" When Chelsea swallowed her engagement ring by mistake LOL. Thanks for the reply,
Bootstrap:icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be honest, I'm worried about the authenticity of this coin. Let's hope it's real. Would you be willing to weigh it?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, I bet you did get excited to see that pop up. I'm no Spanish silver expert but I wonder if the "R" stamp stands for replica? For your sake I hope its a real reale.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why am I left the one to do this all the time. Well, I hate to say, but as you asked for an ID, I will give my thoughts:
Its a cast reproduction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Why am I left the one to do this all the time. Well, I hate to say, but as you asked for an ID, I will give my thoughts:
Its a cast reproduction.
Thanks for your input all! I hate to say it but the thought has crossed my mind and I definitely haven't ruled it out that it could be a repro. I'm taking it to a coin shop later today hopefully and maybe they'll be able to tell me more. I have no way to weigh it BuckleBoy. I was hoping the R was Rincon the assayers mark but where it is so clear compared to every other detail on the coin it could very well be R for reproduction. I'll keep you posted, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with bootstrap; the assayer's mark appears to be a post mint addition due to its clarity of strike compared to the condition of the balance of the coin. And, yes, the question of the weight remains unknown since I first asked that question in post #2.
Don.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a fake/reproduction/souveneir last year that blew my mind for a few minutes. It is obviously silver plated copper...I noticed the copper showing through on a scratch. Trust me...the picture does it no justice. It looks awesome in person....when I pulled it out of the mud my hands started shaking.

2012-05-18_15-04-15_62.jpg

It looks like yours is showing lots of copper and the 'R' looks like modern print type.

I hope it's just poor pics, but I would think a real oldie like that would be black by now.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Story and find ! I was thinking that the previous visitors had gotten their digger stuck on a root and when it broke free the coin went flying thru the air to land where you found it.
(I did this to myself at a foundation site and later was wondering how a seated love token could possibly be on the surface
at such a remote site, then I remembered my digger suddenly breaking free, and thought I had just lost the target in heavy iron)
This may have been a 'gift' from the ones who didn't fill the holes. patina is odd. will be watching for updates.
Hoping for the best !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread