Captain Midnight, Piggy, Buttons, Silver etc...

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the last couple of days and as you can see I have a lot of cleaning to do. The Pig Flipper (which just cracks me up to no end) shotgun shell part, and Everitt were from an old farm house, quarter at my garage and the rest has been in the cornfield that used to have a CCC camp in it. Was happy to find something that actually had CCC on it! I love the Captain Midnight decoder! Funny to find it in the middle of a field lol some poor kid way back must have been heart broken. As for the buttons, I just pulled the Great Seal today (needs to get cleaned up big time still) and the rest are all saying either US Army and the smaller ones just say USA. Now looking online I see they look just like the WW1 pants buttons and maybe they are???? The camp was there from 1933-34 and again 1938-1940. So?? I have also found many belt buckles which then if these are pants buttons then for some reason that field loves all things trouser related =D
all.jpg
buttons.jpg
ccc.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg

Upvote 3

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of buttons! Interesting finds, for sure and I agree on the pig token as being very comical.

OP
OP
vandaria

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Old Dude. Once I cleaned it off and saw the pig butt I almost died =D Strangely enough it sounds as tho the company advertised on it didn't even sell hogs, but boilers, industrial equipment and piping? I did a google and the token comes up but sadly not dates =( I am assuming there was a time period tho where these were fun novelty items as I see others out there using the same images of the pig. "Pig Flippers" they are called lol

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "Pig Flipper" is cool...thx for the mini lesson on these. I guess it was used as a flipping coin because of the "head" on one side and the "tail" on the other.

Not sure what "Whole Hog To Please" means and I'm not sure if I'm missing some other comical detail on that token, but please fill me in. BTW, what's the CCC?

OP
OP
vandaria

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to type something up but figured it would be easier to just show you the wiki lol
Civilian Conservation Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's neat cuz there were aerial photos done here about 1939 and I can see the camp, so then I am able to over lay it onto google maps of the area. Sadly only about an acre of it is not farmed and you can see some foundations of the buildings there. I was trying to save doing that spot for when my dad could make it out, but he waited too long and the grass is too high and the 2 cows that hang there are not eating it fast enough =D So perhaps can do that area in the fall.

As for the camp trying to recall the dates but there were here I think from like 33-34 then came back again for a short time. Then in 1939 there was an all black CCC group that came back to work and a couple of them murdered the Captain in charge of them on the day the payroll arrived. $2500 supposedly mostly in coin. They found the two guys down near the creek just down a ways from the camp and had only recovered some of the money. Later they discovered they had been sticking the coins into the bank of the creek. I have no clue where they were exactly nor do I think anything would be there any more as that creek majorly floods several times a year. Funny enough the people here including the owner of the farm didn't even realize the camp was used so many times, everyone just recalls who was here when the murder happened.

Well speaking of this area...off I go =)
ccc.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread