Wow! Speechless!

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!! Today i went out to a new site i found along the CT/ MA border and found something amazing. I believe that i found a British Revolutionary War badge. I was detecting with my Garrett Ace 350 along a stone wall and got a killer signal. I dug my hole and pulled out an old square head nail about 3 inches in the ground, then i decided to go over the hole again and my detector still had a signal, so i dug about another 4 inches and what i saw was a small metal object in the shape of a shield and instantly got excited. I cleaned off some dirt and saw that it had some sort of design on it. When I got home I thoroughly cleaned it and saw that the design looks like feathers. I then did research on Revolutionary War badges and what popped up was the same exact item which someone believed is a Revolutionary War 23rd British Regiment badge which was also known as The Prince of Wales Regiment, their insignia design includes 3 plumes emerging from a princes coronet. If I am wrong and if anybody can shed any light on this item it would be greatly appreciated. I included a picture of the Prince of Whales insignia and the website in which i found some information in. I'm excited to see what you all think :). Thanks for looking, Sarah.

EXTREMELY RARE PRINCE OF WALES 23rd BRITISH REGIMENTAL BADGE REVOLUTIONARY WAR - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

photo (50).JPG photo (47).JPG photo (45).JPG photo (46).JPG photo (48).JPG photo (49).JPG 339px-Prince_of_Wales's_feathers_Badge.svg.png

Upvote 2

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are harness bosses, and they date to the Federal Era up through the civil war. So too late for your "rev war" ID. Sorry.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I identified these items here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/63773-found-civil-war-site.html

My own find, and I came back with the ID later on (reply #13). These are common finds. Not so common if they are decorated. The backs of them either have two prongs like the one in the post above, or two posts, either solid or hollow, in the same position on the reverse side as appear on your example.

Sorry, but it's still a nice harness boss.

Regards,

Buck

Last edited:

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are fairly common. I know a few people that have found one, including myself. I still like them though. Nice find. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
sfox87

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, well i guess it was wishful thinking lol, oh well, thanks for the help, it's still a pretty good find in my book :)

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I added yours to my database .. Hope that was okay.

Attachments

• Fleur de lis badges.jpg
    Fleur de lis badges.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 251

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, well i guess it was wishful thinking lol, oh well, thanks for the help, it's still a pretty good find in my book :)

But you still got to get the rush which is half the fun. It's just too bad that website (where it's for sale) misrepresents it so bad.

OP
OP
sfox87

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you didn't bother reading the entire thread?

All due respect i did read the entire thread and i found it inconclusive which is why i posted it on here to see if anyone could positively id it. thanks for looking and thanks for your input.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All due respect i did read the entire thread and i found it inconclusive which is why i posted it on here to see if anyone could positively id it. thanks for looking and thanks for your input.

I should have been the one to read... this post! :happysmiley:

On the other thread it's true I couldn't say what it was, but I most definitely knew it was not 23rd Regiment. I was also trying to ease into telling him it wasn't near as good as what he was suggesting.

OP
OP
sfox87

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added yours to my database .. Hope that was okay.

I noticed all the ones in your database have the plume of feathers, is there any significance of these?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed all the ones in your database have the plume of feathers, is there any significance of these?

There is a discussion about the design in the link on my first post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread