fatkook626

Apr 26, 2013
south carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ace 350 and 150
Primary Interest:
Other
003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG found this in my neighbors house and thought it was pretty cool.if anyone knows what era it is that would be awesome!

Upvote 2

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before electric Irons, so like 1882-1940 !!
Cool find, its nice to find them with the handles still on !!
Keep @ it and HH !! :headbang:

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think most of those are found without a handle. Good find.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You date guys crack me up!! When do you think all of rural America got electricity?? These irons were used right up into the 1940s. My great aunt still had hers when I was a child and their house didn't get electricity until just before WW2. There is an abundance of them in antique shops. The Amish and Mennonite sects who shun electricity still use them. I don't think finding them with the handles on is so rare, I have found more than ten years ago digging old dumps and all were intact. If you like digging iron relics i guess it is a cool find, but I seriously doubt it is from the 1800s.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece of history.. :)

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool......and yes as mentioned above, the rural areas did not receive electricity till the 1940's or beyond.......still there are old houses here that never had electric run to them.....and yes the Amish and some others are off grid still......

OP
OP
fatkook626

fatkook626

Apr 26, 2013
south carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ace 350 and 150
Primary Interest:
Other
yea this was found at a house that had civil war activity so i figured it would be around that era but it has never been vacant so i didnt know for sure

OP
OP
fatkook626

fatkook626

Apr 26, 2013
south carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ace 350 and 150
Primary Interest:
Other
You date guys crack me up!! When do you think all of rural America got electricity?? These irons were used right up into the 1940s. My great aunt still had hers when I was a child and their house didn't get electricity until just before WW2. There is an abundance of them in antique shops. The Amish and Mennonite sects who shun electricity still use them. I don't think finding them with the handles on is so rare, I have found more than ten years ago digging old dumps and all were intact. If you like digging iron relics i guess it is a cool find, but I seriously doubt it is from the 1800s.
obviosly not made in 1940s these are the type they used in the 1900s 014.JPG

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obviosly not made in 1940s these are the type they used in the 1900s View attachment 804649

Not true at all!! that is just a different style. My aunt's that she still used into the 1940s was a plain iron like the one you dug. Like I said, the Amish still use them and they are also just like the one you found. Most people want the relics they found to be really old, but in many cases such as round lead musket balls and irons like yours there is absolutely NO way of accurately dating them. Any attempt to do so is pure conjecture. A true definition would be only that it was LIKELY made before 1940, although they are still sold and used today by such groups as the Amish.

OP
OP
fatkook626

fatkook626

Apr 26, 2013
south carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ace 350 and 150
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true at all!! that is just a different style. My aunt's that she still used into the 1940s was a plain iron like the one you dug. Like I said, the Amish still use them and they are also just like the one you found. Most people want the relics they found to be really old, but in many cases such as round lead musket balls and irons like yours there is absolutely NO way of accurately dating them. Any attempt to do so is pure conjecture. A true definition would be only that it was LIKELY made before 1940, although they are still sold and used today by such groups as the Amish.
im not talking aboutwhen they were used im talking about when they were made

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug these from Civil War era sites on up to when electricity started being common in homes. No telling on the age.

Every single one I have dug has been missing the handle.

Nice find! They make excellent doorstops once you clean and preserve them. Lately I have been using Apple Cider Vinegar to remove the rust, with good results. Afterwards, coat with EvapoRust, then heat in an oven, apply a thin coat of crisco and bake (season like you would a skillet), or just apply a wax after the evaporust.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread