May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit my favorite colonial site that I always do while at the coast of NC which has produced a lot of colonial relics including a 1/2 Reale, KG II halfpenny, shoe buckles, flint lock plate, and tons of buttons. I found a new area this weekend that I had not tried before and starting digging some interesting relics. I just bought an XP Deus and this was my very first hunt with it. Not being familier with the tones or VDI numbers I was going to dig everything, besides there is very little modern trash at this site. I got a nice smooth high tone hit reading 72 on the XP and flipped out the plug and saw a shimmer of silver. My first thought was what the hell is a pull tab doing here. Then I wiped away the sand and saw some symbols on it so I figured it was a silver cuff link until I wiped off the other side and saw more lettering so I immediatey say to myself "no freaking way" I just dug a Spanish cob. After closer inspection it didn't reconize any of the lettering or symbols to be Spanish but I knew for sure that it as a hammered coin and I was stoked.

A couple of tnet members on the "What Is It" forum suggested that it was Indian or Islamic so I emailed a foreign coin expert (Steve Album) and he promptly identified it as a Moroccan, silver muzuna of Isma’il al-Samin, 1672-1727, type A-584. So my next question is how the hell did this coin end up here? I have a couple of theories but no way to know for sure. The most probable theory is that it was dropped by an early settler being that this property is adjacent to a river which saw a good deal of activity in the 18th century. I doubt that it was a modern drop since there has been no activity on this property since the early 1800's. Feel free to offer your own ideas about how it go there.

I'm just excited to have dug my first hammered silver coin and oldest coin to date. I doubt many of these have been dug on US soil.

Attachments

• hammeredcoin1.jpg
    hammeredcoin1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 188
  • hammeredcoin2.jpg
    hammeredcoin2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 6

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your idea of when it may have been dropped sounds good. If it was holed like it is I'm guessing it was worn as jewelry or as some sort of adornment to jewelry or clothing?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's a great find screwy. Sounds like you have a really great spot to hunt. Congrats.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Never seen anything like that... Very cool find!!! Congrats :icon_thumright:

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, a hammered coin is on my list. Very nice find.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind comments and replies. I showed this to my metal detecting club tonight and a couple guys suggested that it might have been brought back as a souvenier by a member of the US Navy or someone on a merchant marine ship in the early 1800's possibly during the 1st Barbary War around Northern Africa. The timing of this would make sense for the age of the site.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find and one that I certainly have not seen dug here in the US. When I first saw it I was reminded of another coin I dug many years ago in a War of 1812 camp. It was a thick and heavy late 1700s silver rupee from India with similar strange markings. It had a loop soldered to it, and was likely worn around the neck on a chain. I surmised that it was probably lost by a British soldier who had previously been stationed in India, which was a British colony at that time, and was brought back as a souvenir only to be lost here in Virginia. Not sure if that's the way it happened, but I like the story. Congrats again on a rare and interesting find.

rupee.JPG

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
FABULOUS! :notworthy: :occasion18: :hello2: I just voted BANNER on this wonderful coin! You'd done the historical research on the area, dug 300-year old hammered foreign silver, present a good theory of why it showed up there, and the pics are good! Wow! Andi

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Andi for the reconignition and banner vote. I honestly didn't have any expectation of this find making the banner but I did think that it might have generated a little more interest. Not everyday that you dig a hammered silver coin in the US. Regardless it's a find that I'll treasure and a moment that I will remember for years to come.
FABULOUS! :notworthy::occasion18::hello2: I just voted BANNER on this wonderful coin! You'd done the historical research on the area, dug 300-year old hammered foreign silver, present a good theory of why it showed up there, and the pics are good! Wow! Andi

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool piece!!! Knowing it came from a coastal area it could have been lost by a sailor who wore it as jewelry or for good luck. Moroccans and north Africans served on many trading vessels at that time. The Spanish traded a lot in north Africa as well as other European nations. I hate to say it because so many people seem to want to identify their finds with pirates, and few really are, but there were north African crew members on those type of ships and they were also known to have frequented that part of the world in that time span.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information. Before finding this coin I had almost no knowledge about early American involvement in policing the seas of North Africa. That's one of the coolest things about this hobby how it makes learning about our countries history fun.

Way cool piece!!! Knowing it came from a coastal area it could have been lost by a sailor who wore it as jewelry or for good luck. Moroccans and north Africans served on many trading vessels at that time. The Spanish traded a lot in north Africa as well as other European nations. I hate to say it because so many people seem to want to identify their finds with pirates, and few really are, but there were north African crew members on those type of ships and they were also known to have frequented that part of the world in that time span.

Learning about this find brings a whole new meaning to this line in the Marines Hymn. Thanks for pointing that out.

Could have been a keepsake from the Barbary Wars. "From the shores of Tripoli" no doubt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread