Military Shield Pin? Coins.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am principal of a high school. The kids are out for the summer so some days are slower then others right now. I always keep my detector in case I can get out an hour every now and then. Beside the high school is a wooded area with large beech trees that have carvings as early as 1917. It is also close to a field where Civil War cannon balls were found. I went to this area the other day and found a wheat penny and a 1940 nickel. Today I went back and found a 1910 V nickel, which needs cleaned; what I think is a 1934 wheat penny; a 1949 nickel; and some type of pin with two stars and four stripes. I cannot figure out what it is exactly. It has a wing nut on the back which is confusing me as well. I've looked online but have not found a match. Anyone got an idea on this? I also found a fork and spoon that are silver plated and date between 1900 and 1940. Thanks for reading!
shield 3.gif

Here is the back of it.
shield 1.gif

shield.gif
spoons.gif

Upvote 0

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beats me on the pin but man I sure wish the principals around here were as cool as you. All the local schools have signs and gates saying no trespassing without permission. I've met one principal but she definitely did not give free reign of the grounds.

Sounds like you've got a great spot to hunt. Ill be watching for all the silver pics. :)

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm shocked I haven't pulled out any silver yet. This area of woods was used for years by school skippers and people playing cards. I'm hoping that silver will show itself soon!

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like its gotta be there. Schools are good hunts. There's certainly silver and gold even if its not in coin form. Surely with the age of the coins you already found there's a Merc and a Rosie if not better hiding somewhere.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job EC Mason. I have done some traveling myself. I have no idea what your pin is. Im sure that someone soon will chime in and let us know. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking maybe it is a decoration for a license plate back in the 1950s. My step father said he remembers seeing these kinds of things on plates and it would explain the wing nut.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pin....congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread