Quick, spur of the moment hunt yields my oldest coin yet! 1918 Wheatie

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
I finally had a free hour and got an invite to hunt a friends home that turns out to be a very historic local house. I only went down the one side of the walkway and found lots of garbage like pull tabs, chunks of tin, a square nail,a few modern nails, two Pepsi caps, a blob of what I think is lead (haven't tried squishing it yet),a few matchstick size pieces of metal, a 1979 penny and a 1918 Wheatie! I know, no biggie, but it's my oldest and my first Wheatie. Still have LOTS of area to cover at this place if I ever get more free time! =\ Any advice on cleaning up the Wheatie? I've seen peroxide and toothpicks mentioned...

Attachments

• image-1686899111.jpg
    image-1686899111.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1685522094.jpg
    image-1685522094.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2303516063.jpg
    image-2303516063.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2616904461.jpg
    image-2616904461.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 2

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool, personally I think that wheatie looks pretty good as it is. Way better than the ones I find near me that are mostly too toasted to make anything out.

Good luck when you go back, maybe you'll find some silver.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally had a free hour and got an invite to hunt a friends home that turns out to be a very historic local house. I only went down the one side of the walkway and found lots of garbage like pull tabs, chunks of tin, a square nail,a few modern nails, two Pepsi caps, a blob of what I think is lead (haven't tried squishing it yet),a few matchstick size pieces of metal, a 1979 penny and a 1918 Wheatie! I know, no biggie, but it's my oldest and my first Wheatie. Still have LOTS of area to cover at this place if I ever get more free time! =\ Any advice on cleaning up the Wheatie? I've seen peroxide and toothpicks mentioned...

Cool find.. I love to find the Wheaties.. Here in Florida the sand often forms an oxide that is like harden rock on the outside of the penny. To clean this off I have build a home made electrolysis set up from an old laptop brick. The instructions are on this website. The electrolysis will quickly remove the grime on the outside of the penny without harming the penny. It does tend to make the coin almost black.

I also agree with joe_dirt that if you can read the date and still leave some of that cool green patina then you may just want to leave it as it..

OP
OP
ce550av8r

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Thanks guys. I was kind of surprised it wasn't more toasted in our NY soil! I am hopeful that I'll find my first silver here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread