1730 Counterfeit British Half Penny, Tombac Button and Little More

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi All,

I got out for a couple hours after work. I went to hunt the woods next to a field that has produced many 1700's coppers and Silvers. Anyway I was in the woods last week and got integral shank button. I sent an email to Don SJ and he confirmed it was a mid 1700's button or even could be a little earlier. So I hit the woods again today. I dug 1730 half penny fairly early in the hunt. I put it on my scale and it weighs 8.5 grams. I dug the Tombac button next. Then a little more junk and I do the pewter spoon bowl. Not to long after the spoon bowl I dug the little button which was a cool find have no idea what it is or how old it is. Last but not least I eyed the white thing that looked like a shell to me it had a pretty cool design, so I took a picture in the woods and then when I got home. I don't know if I am right on the shell idea or not so if anyone can confirm it that would be cool. Overall not a bad hunt today.

Bubba65

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 5

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the pics of the copper coins fresh out of the ground.:love4: That's a sight we all like to see.:thumbsup: Congrats on the KGII. The counterfeits are more interesting than the regals in my opinion.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of nice finds there. You have a great site!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My non-dug Regal weighs 8.4g, so nothing unusual about that dug coin. A 1730 counterfiet would be outside of the norm & it looks fine to me.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds for sure, I really like the little wagon wheel thingy. I am not sure if it a button or from a kids toy, can you post up close ups of it?
You site has all the right signs of being a great area to hunt.
ZDD

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
My non-dug Regal weighs 8.4g, so nothing unusual about that dug coin. A 1730 counterfiet would be outside of the norm & it looks fine to me.

Thanks Crusader, I was going to just title it 1730 British Half Penny. Looked on a site that says they where more like 9.5 grams to be Regal, so that is why I went the counterfeit way. I also see Don agrees with you. That works for me either way. Thanks for correcting me on the half penny. I don't know how to change the tittle I would if I did.

Bubba65

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Some nice finds for sure, I really like the little wagon wheel thingy. I am not sure if it a button or from a kids toy, can you post up close ups of it?
You site has all the right signs of being a great area to hunt.
ZDD

Thanks Zodiac I went with a button because the back has what looks like a shank broken off. I will post what pictures I have not sure if any better.

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
I want to thank all for the good words and for looking.

Bubba65

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Finds! What did the half penny give you for a conductive reading ? Thanks, Herbie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader, I was going to just title it 1730 British Half Penny. Looked on a site that says they where more like 9.5 grams to be Regal, so that is why I went the counterfeit way. I also see Don agrees with you. That works for me either way. Thanks for correcting me on the half penny. I don't know how to change the tittle I would if I did.

Bubba65

Don't worry, since we started this new forum you can't change the title anymore, something to do with it screwing up the references:dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could easily be counterfeit, not all were poor quality. That said, it's sort of like innocent until proven guilty... Regal until proven ctft..

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Nice Finds! What did the half penny give you for a conductive reading ? Thanks, Herbie

Thanks Herbie I swing a 14 year old Explorer XS, the only year they put the 1/8 inch headphone jack on. It gave me a 27 reading which is right when I have dug other half pennies too.

Bubba65

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Could easily be counterfeit, not all were poor quality. That said, it's sort of like innocent until proven guilty... Regal until proven ctft..

Thanks IP. Did the Regal ones come in not so perfect round shapes too?

Bubba65

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP. Did the Regal ones come in not so perfect round shapes too?

Bubba65

Usually the Regal ones were pretty good. For George II there was a lot of struck counterfeits as well as cast ones, which is different than George III where they were almost all struck. (A nice condition George III cast would be a fairly uncommon find) For George II the easy ctfts to pick out are the struck ones as they're often thin/underweight and have many small differences in the design as a result from being struck with a die that was not really close to matching a genuine coin. The cast counterfeits on the other hand which are often out-of-round, look much more Regal and the more obvious signs at first site tend to be the shape and metal used. Some are actually white or grey looking, probably from having some lead content. So with all that said what you might have is a cast counterfeit, but one made with a little better quality metal. I do have to question that because given the weight it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense from a counterfeiters perspective, but there's also non dug counterfeits that exist that are beautiful quality coins and over 10 grams... so you never know for sure.

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Usually the Regal ones were pretty good. For George II there was a lot of struck counterfeits as well as cast ones, which is different than George III where they were almost all struck. (A nice condition George III cast would be a fairly uncommon find) For George II the easy ctfts to pick out are the struck ones as they're often thin/underweight and have many small differences in the design as a result from being struck with a die that was not really close to matching a genuine coin. The cast counterfeits on the other hand which are often out-of-round, look much more Regal and the more obvious signs at first site tend to be the shape and metal used. Some are actually white or grey looking, probably from having some lead content. So with all that said what you might have is a cast counterfeit, but one made with a little better quality metal. I do have to question that because given the weight it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense from a counterfeiters perspective, but there's also non dug counterfeits that exist that are beautiful quality coins and over 10 grams... so you never know for sure.

Thanks IP for all the information. Either way it is ok with me just trying to learn more about them. I have found a decent amount of half pennies from the 1700's, but I didn't have a scale to weigh them back then. So I thought that would be a good winter project to go back weigh them and give them a closer look. Thanks again for all the information and come winter time I may be knocking on your door for more information :laughing7:.

Bubba65

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP for all the information. Either way it is ok with me just trying to learn more about them. I have found a decent amount of half pennies from the 1700's, but I didn't have a scale to weigh them back then. So I thought that would be a good winter project to go back weigh them and give them a closer look. Thanks again for all the information and come winter time I may be knocking on your door for more information :laughing7:.

Bubba65

Counterfeits are great, just too bad we seldom see the better stuff dug and posted. But as long as everyone keeps finding them we'll see something killer at some point. Feel free to write me anytime about your copper finds, I don't have all the answers (not even close) but have some good go-to guys if needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions