Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a short notice visit from the Patriot, and I certainly couldn't turn down an opportunity to dig so we gave it a shot for a couple of days. Yesterday wasn't good, and today wasn't either until we found a small French site which gave us a little to dig.

Not real pretty, but I'm sure I won't be either after about 270 years in the ground.

Coins are...

2 French 6 Denier 1710, & 1710-1712

1740 George II Halfpenny.

Last two pics is a lead French bale seal and 45 Frenchy musketballs. The things just wouldn't stay out of the way!

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 132
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 127
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 129
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 9

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Really nice finds! I've been missing out on the French finds while all you guys have been scooping them up lol!
Good to know there's still a couple of Acadian sites left to find.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back in circulation. Nice finds! Hogge

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds! I've been missing out on the French finds while all you guys have been scooping them up lol!
Good to know there's still a couple of Acadian sites left to find.

They are from that little field just before the NJ site. The one we've looked at for about 7 years, never catch anyone home, and the odd time there was a car there we for some reason would decide to pass on it. Anyway, it was the only field there that wasn't planted, and I mean that literally. It was also about the 13th hour of striking out, and by striking out I mean I didn't have a single button, coin, relic or anything! So all bets were on that spot and it actually had something to find. (Which at the time seemed like a miracle) The musket balls were annoying, but it sure was better than how it was going before then. Good to be out, but also happy to be done. :)

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some round up on the balls, nice coins there IP.
ZDD

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow that's amazing that we never got to talk to anyone about that place and it held a site all this time! I guess our gut feeling about the field was on the mark all this time. I'm sure well scrape another coin or two from there when the time is right.
How did Patriot do? We know he likes to dig those pesky musketballs

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's amazing that we never got to talk to anyone about that place and it held a site all this time! I guess our gut feeling about the field was on the mark all this time. I'm sure well scrape another coin or two from there when the time is right.
How did Patriot do? We know he likes to dig those pesky musketballs

I guess technically it would be a site, but not much of one. It was a struggle to squeeze anything but a lead ball out... almost an hour per each non musketball find. I'd probably go back, but wouldn't have said that at the time being pretty beat and not finding anything other than the balls for my last hour and a half or so.

Patriot I think dug 3 coins and he might have said a ramrod guide. And yes, he didn't have the same hate for the balls as I did.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little wierd, we expect a few balls but that is excessive!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little wierd, we expect a few balls but that is excessive!

I doubt this place was used very long. Think someone lost his pouch and the plow spread the balls everywhere. At least that's what makes the most sense to me.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back on the board! Patriot must have been in lead ball heaven...got the fever back?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back on the board! Patriot must have been in lead ball heaven...got the fever back?

Yeah he seemed content to work towards his 50lb goal. What a loser. :laughing7:

Honestly, a digging fix, and probably how it all went down, actually made me want to hang it back up more than swing again. Without research it's just too hard to play.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The legend back at it!!!!Glad to see it,fantastic find

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The legend back at it!!!!Glad to see it,fantastic find

The only legendary thing was the Patriot and I managed to spend $60 on junk food the first day. :laughing7:

Other funny things about this hunt was I talked our way on a planted field, and another one where the guy farming said he couldn't give us the go ahead, but eventually said he wasn't going to stop us. Sadly neither place had much of anything.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only legendary thing was the Patriot and I managed to spend $60 on junk food the first day. :laughing7:

Other funny things about this hunt was I talked our way on a planted field, and another one where the guy farming said he couldn't give us the go ahead, but eventually said he wasn't going to stop us. Sadly neither place had much of anything.
...see you are proving my statement.....further working that magic!!!!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice array of finds! Super spill of Colonial French coins, I would have been happy with just the musket balls!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds for sure, the french were always known to have great sites to hunt.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread