mxt ..over it!!!!

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pounded three old farm houses in the last three weeks,not the first old coin,even switch coils ...nothing,,,what would be a good upgrade..have used this machine for three years and found some good stuff,mostly farm fields,but they wernt real deep,had a xterra ,and did not like it,looking for a good coin shooter,I am an addict so the money is not an issue....

Upvote 0

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an addict so the money is not an issue....

Ummmmm, well in that case, I have an EXCELLENT Groundhog I'll sell, for a fair pittance of course! LOL

Actually, I really can't recommend anything. Except to take a little time and do some homework. Know the type of hunting, ground, etc. that you do and then see what detectors will work best "FOR YOU".

Good luck!

HH!

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is a great coin machine for sure

Dig until your arm falls off

OP
OP
D

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really want something that will bang on silver...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dodgeit - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to imagine depth is the problem. I have two whites 6000 DI/ series 3s and I have found plenty of old coins at farm houses with them. The MXT should do much better. I don't have one but they must be an improvement over mine. Perhaps you could find someone close by with a high end detector of another brand or even the same brand but better than the mxt. Compare readings and finds to see if it's the MXT's performance.....GRiley

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
D

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunted with a cat that had a mine lab..hit a target,ask me if I would dig, said no was a silver ring, but was hitting low in the trash area on the mxt...

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the neatest looking farmhouses (the kind you dream about for permission) can be disappointing.

The folks that lived there over the years could have been very frugal with their money and only carried it
with them when going into town.

I personally know hunters that are very sucessful in finding silver in local parks with their MXT. But obviously, that's
a different kind of hunting environment compared to old farmsteads. Have you tried using a smaller than standard
coil to dodge the trash at these farms? If not, that might be a possible solution.

Good luck.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunted with a cat that had a mine lab..hit a target,ask me if I would dig, said no was a silver ring, but was hitting low in the trash area on the mxt...

You might want to check the machine to see if it's working as it should. They do get out now and again. Better to know your machine than to throw money and start over with a new set of problems. Just IMHO of course. We all expect that the more we spend the better the finds will be. Rarely, if ever, works that way.

On the other hand, if you want to upgrade, do it, just check what you really want before you buy.

HH!

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly recommend buying from Bart@Big Boys Hobbies .

He is great and very helpful too...

OP
OP
D

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep... got the 5.3 coil , and pounded a place today with it first before I used the stock coil,and still nothing,.dont get me wrong I think the mxt is a good machine,buit just dont think its getting the depth or correct readings that it should....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a beast,if it aint there to be found it aint the detectors fault
I run in relic mode and no descrimination...use your ears.It is not a deep machine though compared to my Tejon

OP
OP
D

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe I need to send it in,like this machine and it has been good to me,but it just dont seem to be hitting like it use to...

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were listening for just the loud tones. The MXT gets quieter has the coins get deeper. Listen for the repeatable whisper tones. Those are the deep coins.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe I need to send it in,like this machine and it has been good to me,but it just dont seem to be hitting like it use to...

I would at least compare it to another of the same machine. If you do send it in for repair, make sure you mention the type of ground you usually detect. I firmly believe that one needs to fit the tool to the job. Had a friend visit me once and he couldn't find diddly with his machine. Then, I visited him and guess who couldn't find diddly? :)

Also, ask for a report on whatever they do to your machine.

Good luck!
HH!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
The MXT is a beast,if it aint there to be found it aint the detectors fault
I run in relic mode and no descrimination...use your ears.It is not a deep machine though compared to my Tejon

Kuger is right & so is Jimdon. Hunt in relic mode no discrimination. I've got an MXT Pro & I love it, no complaints here. I also agree that old farm houses are sometimes a bust. Old, deep coins are very faint. I get really excited when I hear one of those signals at a good location, usually something good.

Last edited:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting