US Twenty Centavos

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug this in a yard the other day. Not valuable or rare, but before I found it I'd never personally seen one. I had to look it up to find out exactly what it was.

"The Philippines was ceded to the United States as part of the settlement between Spain and the United States at the end of the Spanish-American War in 1898. A self-governing commonwealth was established in 1935. The U.S. granted the Republic of The Philippines full independence on July 4, 1946.

During the United States administration, Congress was responsible for issuing coinage. The first U.S./Philippine coins were minted in 1903 in Philadelphia and San Francisco and bear both the Identities of the United States and "Filipinas" (Spanish for The Philippines). During the commonwealth period, coinage was issued primarily at the Manila Mint ("M" mint mark). During the Japanese Occupation no Philippine coinage was issued. In 1944 and 1945 coins were only struck at the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco Mints."

IMG_2477_1.JPG IMG_2478_2.JPG

Upvote 4

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and thank you for the info on it.Is it silver or what metal is it Nickel?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool coin. :thumbsup:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find. Congrats!

Can you tell me where you found the info you cite? I found an 1884 Argentinian Dos Centavos and I'm trying to see if it was part of a US mint effort, or just somehow wound up in the states another way.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had some I brought home with me in 1956, 10 and 20 centavos, got them in change, but have no idea where they might be now. Good find, silver is silver.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I found a dime version here in Denver in the 90's.

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Joe,
It might be fun to see if anyone who lived in that home during WW II may actually have been in the Phil. during that time.
Returning it might be a memorable occasion for both of you.
Don....

The house was built in the 40's and has been vacant for at least 20 years, but I know where the son of the original owners lives, he's old now but still lives on the same street.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread