Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the last time I spent a whole day in this hobby. Sure, I'm tired. But it's a good tired! :)

I decided on two school grounds, one I hadn't been to before but it was in a good area. Lots of history, new school. The other, was that other school ground I went to that gave me a bunch of clad and even a small ring. It also has the potential for old.

So, I'm figuring on a fairly busy day, with the clad but also the chance at jewelry, antiques and maybe even silver. I went for about 6 hours in total, with a very nice break in the middle for a full, sit down lunch. :) The weather was awesome and I just plain enjoyed the whole day. Nice!

But, that's not why you're here. Soooo, before I become the next target for a blasting because of no pictures. ;)

Here's the over all:

IMGA3582.JPG
IMGA3583.JPG
IMGA3584.JPG

Along the way, I had one of those disappearing signals.
You know, where you find it, pin point, dig, but then there's NOTHING in the hole or the plug?
Well, experience paid off this time, the NEXT spot I looked was the end of my knife.

POKEDRING1.jpg

That's right, poked the end of the knife right through it's heart! :(
Stopping mine at first, because all I saw was ring-gold-stones-stabbed!! YIKES!!

POKEDRING2.jpg

IMGA3585.JPG
IMGA3586.JPG

So, in this case, I was glad to see, later on, that it was just costume. Fairly well made, no markings, 3 "stones" on each side & one in the middle. I just bet this was a pretty lil one in it's day. :)

Which brings me to my personal "star" of the day.
Out in the boondocks of one new area, I got this semi-iffy signal. I almost didn't dig because it was VERY rocky ground and hard to dig. Also, I was pretty tired digging up zincolns from the area.

I dug.

19SMERC1.jpg
19SMERC2.jpg
19SMERC3.jpg

Yep, a Merc! But, more than that it was in pretty good shape!
I placed him in his own little cushioned baggy and went on my way.

Once I got him home I only soaked for a bit in some distilled water to loosen the clinging soil.

I was pretty pleased with the results and once I saw how old it was, AND, that it was of the San Francisco mint. Well, I believe it's clean enough for anyone. :)

IMGA3588.JPG IMGA3591.JPG

Pretty low mintage too!

Ok, that's enough show for now. Hope it brought some enjoyment.
Thanks for stopping by!

HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds, sounds like afun day!, on a side note, i think i mentioned that im gonna upgrade to the atpro, but i saw about a bazillion vids of this guy blasting the atpro's depth. whats your experience with yours?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds, sounds like afun day!, on a side note, i think i mentioned that im gonna upgrade to the atpro, but i saw about a bazillion vids of this guy blasting the atpro's depth. whats your experience with yours?

Well, you know that's a loaded question. I'd suggest checking into just what detector might serve you best. What I mean is, they type of hunting you mostly do, what sort of ground do you most encounter, do you just want depth or an all around, all terrain machine that you can count on to level the issues best for most of them.

My depth will not be your depth. Might be greater/lesser. But, over all, I hunt mostly in very highly mineralized ground and it has punched through that consistently. Sometimes, down as much as 11-12 inches. I did dig up an old toy car from almost 18 though. Fluke? I dunno.

Most of my coins have been found at an average of about 4-7 inches. AND, that is saying something because of all the mineralization!

Hope that helps.

Whatever you go with, learn it as well as you can! The depth will take care of itself.

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A buddy of mine uses on--NJLargeCent. It's a very good machine. It doesn't get the absolute raw depth that the Explorer SE Pro does (the machine I'm using), but it gets pretty darn close and it's a light and fast machine. When we hunt together, like today, he always does quite well. The price point is also quite good. I am tempted to try one in order to cover some ground faster. I think this machine offers a LOT of bang for the buck overall!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny how you keep finding one of those plastic lizzards on just about every hunt! :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how you keep finding one of those plastic lizzards on just about every hunt! :)

Naw. I just fell in love with him ever since I first saw him in my first pic. :) You do know, he's an unofficial deputy to Chug&Red's Sheriff Gumby? :)

Oh and thanks for all the kind comments about my key merc. ;) LOL

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
As usual - nice finds supported by great photographs WHADIFIND.

Thanks, VPNAVY! I actually do try to make my post entertaining. I was hoping it might be noticed.

Surprised a little that a fairly rare Merc, in this nice condition didn't even seem to cause an eye blink. Oh well. Maybe I read the rarity wrong. :dontknow:

Thanks again!

HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised a little that a fairly rare Merc, in this nice condition didn't even seem to cause an eye blink. Oh well. Maybe I read the rarity wrong. :dontknow:

That may be cause i accidentally hijacked ur thread with my question. My bad:dontknow:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be cause i accidentally hijacked ur thread with my question. My bad:dontknow:

OH HEAVENS TO BETSY!! If I had posted an 1856 FE , no matter WHAT you said would have turned off the comments!!! HA HA! LOL

It was a very pleasant surprise to me, that it was a fairly key date, that old, found in rocky soil and to be in that nice shape. Let alone that there were only 8.5 million or so made. Seemed a bit rare to me. :)

Thanks!
HH!

HH!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun to hear about your hunt. Thanks for sharing! Nice collection of finds and of course, Hi-Yo Silver!

View attachment 810982

H Digs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread