Happiness is finding my 1st Wheat Penny !!! A -1943

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more pennies then anything, and when I found this last one, I wasn't all that excited to clean it off, to view the date. It was so dirty, I could barely tell it was a penny. So I put it on my shelf and let it sit there a few days. Today I decided to clean it up, and low and behold, it turned out to be a 1943 Wheatie!! Yeah!!!

Upvote 9

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Old as Dirt! What did you use to clean it off?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice find Old as Dirt.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your first wheatie! :occasion18: :hello2: :icon_thumright: 1943 was a good year for me as that's when I took my first steps and graduated out of diapers, lol. :laughing7: Keep in mind that where you dig wheaties, you're also likely to find silver coins of the same or older eras! HAVE FUN! Andi

OP
OP
Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first wheatie! :occasion18: :hello2: :icon_thumright: 1943 was a good year for me as that's when I took my first steps and graduated out of diapers, lol. :laughing7: Keep in mind that where you dig wheaties, you're also likely to find silver coins of the same or older eras! HAVE FUN! Andi

I was just told by my daughter, that it was a " Silver" 1943 Wheat penny. That sounded so much better! Update...: I just checked, and it's a Silver Steel Wheat penny.....well, at least I found something I didn't have.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's great if it made you happy,right? I rarely get to go detecting so when I find something that piques my interest I want to show it off. I think most people here understand.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on your first Wheat Cent find! I remember still remember the thrill of my first. I was now in the 'old coin zone'. Your 1943 cent is most likely made of zinc coated steel. Those are still relatively hard to find metal detecting. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on your first Wheat Cent find! I remember still remember the thrill of my first. I was now in the 'old coin zone'. Your 1943 cent is most likely made of zinc coated steel. Those are still relatively hard to find metal detecting. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thanks Wildcat, for the positive, uplifting, response. It is well appreciated, believe me....:)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's one helluva find!! Though it not a terribly rare coin, I think I have only seen one or two dug with a metal detector as most of them either rust in the ground and disintegrate or are discriminated out. What kind of soil did u find it in??

OP
OP
Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's one helluva find!! Though it not a terribly rare coin, I think I have only seen one or two dug with a metal detector as most of them either rust in the ground and disintegrate or are discriminated out. What kind of soil did u find it in??

Just regular old dirt...ha ha ha...some clay mixed in as well, probably.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, I found a 1965 dime and when i found out it could be worth a lot if it was a rare silver one but my hopes were shattered when it weighed 2.3 grams and not 2.5 :/

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Most times when you find a steel cent, they'll be so rusty you won't even be able to tell what they were. You're double lucky you found your first wheat, AND it is identifiable.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i Oad I Congrats on your first Wheat that is an odd one to get tho, since most folks would have discriminated the steel one out. I have literally found hundreds of wheats over the years but not a single steel one here yet =)

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Congrats! I just found my first one a few weeks ago! 1918. I was ecstatic! Nice to finally find something other than garbage and newer coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread