Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Poison ivy

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    At pro, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into a float for water use.
    545 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Poison ivy

I must of got into this nasty stuff while detecting this week. I have it on right forearm and on face around eyes. Any ideas on how to get rid of this awful rash((

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Jul 2012
    91 times
    I don't believe you can. A extra hot shower will relieve the itching.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Shadow X5/Sovereign GT.
    104 times
    Relic Hunting
    I found some interesting threads on the internet about the use of cheap Vodka on Poison Ivy rash. I thought someone was pulling my leg but you might surf the internet. I'd be careful about using it around my eyes though.

I guess you could attack it from two directions, internally and externally.

BTW, you might try washing the rash with a facial scrub product like Clearasil. Facial scrubs do a real good job of removing oil from the face, maybe it can remove any residual Poison Ivy oil that is irritating your skin and shorten the misery time.
    Last edited by Dug; Jun 09, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: BTW
    Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be so get out there and do some digging.

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    At pro, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into a float for water use.
    545 times
    I like that two pronged attack with the vodka if ya take enough internally you won't care about the external rash lol.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    Garrett AT Pro
    2915 times
    BUMMER Kodiak.

..: What Pennsylvania County Do You Live In? :..

..: What Florida County Do You Live In? :..

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

us
    May 2013
    Ecuador
    485 times
    Go to a pharmacy....there is a creme you can buy that will neutralize the offending chemical in that evil plant.....forget the name but I think it is even out in generic form so we can afford it

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-d View Post
    Go to a pharmacy....there is a creme you can buy that will neutralize the offending chemical in that evil plant.....forget the name but I think it is even out in generic form so we can afford it
    Thanks doc I'm going to go look for it

us
    diginupdirt

Dec 2008
    Fayetteville Ar
    Teknetics Special Edition Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson Ball Handel Shovel.
    6 times

Cry

I got it for the first time in my life 2 years ago while out MDing. it got so bad my eyes almost swelled shut. I had to go to the ER and they gave me a steroid shot and some antibiotcs. It did go away but I was miserable for a while. The one thing I did after that was to go on line and look at pictures of Poison Ivy, Oak, & Sumac. I knew what it was already, but now I'm on the look out for it! Nasty stuff. And also the oil from it gets on your clothes and equipment so you can get it again if you touch where ever the oily residue is. I got some stuff called Ivy scrub and cleaned everything, detector, digging tools, pouch, and every thing. Rubbing alchol may work for cleaning you equipment too. Wash your close in hot water a couple of times or throw them away. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Lownslow; Jun 09, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
    gypsybandit likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint Switch/Headphone mod), Minelab Sovereign GT (w/Ron's 180 Tgt ID Meter and Minelab 550 m
    426 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Careful with it on you face and around eyes and mouth. If it is serious enough, go see your doctor and he can put you on prednisone (steroid, NOT anabolic!) which will will help make it go away faster. Any other areas of your body that have it, soap and H2O. Keep it clean and dry, apply calamine or other lotion that can help dry it out (astringent). Hesitate to say this but bleach can work well, just be careful. Mix it with water and apply it to the areas or take some into the shower and was with it. I know some will not like that idea but it works. Can sting a bit if you scrub the affected areas good and apply the bleach solution but it does help dry it out faster. Just dilute it with some water first.

Had some buddys a few years back ( I was a military medic) who co competed in a eco-challenge type race over the course of a week (Beast of the East it was called then) and one of them had poison ivy EVERYWHERE by the end of it. The other two guys just got minor hits of it. He took himself into the shower with some bleach and a body scrub pad and got to work. We were laughing our a**es off at him as we could hear some yips and curses coming from the campground bathroom but after he emerged (and the stinging had stopped) he felt much better. It was completely gone in a few days. (not sure if he repeated the treatment at home or not).

Here is what seems to be a "better" way to use the bleach than what my friend did!
    How to Kill Poison Ivy With Bleach | eHow
    Good luck man. Consider the prednisone too. Talk to your doc.

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    545 times
    Thanks docbeav sounds like good advise ill try it. I served with a lot of good people and the medics would be at the top of the list.

us
    Feb 2013
    Indiana
    Minelab Safari/Fisher F2
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    there is a product at walgreens called tecnu extreme. It is a shower wash that removes the oil from your skin and is the absolute best over the counter product out there for poison ivy or poison oak. I am really allergic to poison ivy and the tecnu is the only product I have ever used that actually clears it up, and it relieves the itching immediately. You can use it head to toe, just try to avoid getting it in your eyes. Go grab a bottle and follow the directions, shower with it a couple times a day and you will be back to normal in a couple days. I cannot recommend this product enough, it has saved me from going to the clinic for a shot several times. Going to the clinic used to be my only course of action. I'd see one small spot of it one day and be covered in it when I woke the following day.

Now if I even think I may have been in contact with the plant I shower with tecnu. They make two versions of the product, the original tecnu which is good to shower with as a preventative after you have been in the woods. That bottle says it can be used to wash gardening (or in our case detecting) tools and gear to remove the oils that cause the rash. The tecnu extreme version is the product to get if you actually have poison ivy or oak, it is almost like a pumice scrub and you scrub the effected areas with it to remove the oils and prevent the rash from spreading. Let us know if you try it and how it works for you, I found out about it from a friend who hunts game.

this is what the bottle you would want looks like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tecnu_Extreme.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	810701
    AU Seeker and CoilyGirl like this.

us
    Oct 2007
    South Carolina
    E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
    339 times
    dirtwizard likes this.
    SEEK AND YEA SHALL FIND and when you do THANK GOD!!!

us
    Feb 2013
    Indiana
    Minelab Safari/Fisher F2
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    that said, I totally agree with doc in that if the rash is on your face near the eyes, nose or mouth you may want to hit the clinic and get a steroid shot or pills. The rash can get in your mouth, throat and lungs which I have had happen after attending a bonfire. That was miserable.

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    545 times
    Ok thanks I will check it out

dirtwizard likes this.

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    545 times
    I've been getting poison ivy since I can remember about every other year. I get it pretty bad most of the time and usually end up going to dr. I really don't want to go if I don't have to so thanks for all the suggestions. I Alma's seem to get it on face arms legs and private areas. Pretty miserable for a week or so. I need to find a new way to get rid of it fast thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors