Poison ivy

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe you can. A extra hot shower will relieve the itching.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found some interesting threads on the internet about the use of cheap Vodka on Poison Ivy rash. I thought someone was pulling my leg but you might surf the internet. I'd be careful about using it around my eyes though.

I guess you could attack it from two directions, internally and externally. :occasion14:

BTW, you might try washing the rash with a facial scrub product like Clearasil. Facial scrubs do a real good job of removing oil from the face, maybe it can remove any residual Poison Ivy oil that is irritating your skin and shorten the misery time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that two pronged attack with the vodka if ya take enough internally you won't care about the external rash lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
BUMMER Kodiak.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a pharmacy....there is a creme you can buy that will neutralize the offending chemical in that evil plant.....forget the name but I think it is even out in generic form so we can afford it

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a pharmacy....there is a creme you can buy that will neutralize the offending chemical in that evil plant.....forget the name but I think it is even out in generic form so we can afford it

Thanks doc I'm going to go look for it

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it for the first time in my life 2 years ago while out MDing. it got so bad my eyes almost swelled shut. I had to go to the ER and they gave me a steroid shot and some antibiotcs. It did go away but I was miserable for a while. The one thing I did after that was to go on line and look at pictures of Poison Ivy, Oak, & Sumac. I knew what it was already, but now I'm on the look out for it! Nasty stuff. And also the oil from it gets on your clothes and equipment so you can get it again if you touch where ever the oily residue is. I got some stuff called Ivy scrub and cleaned everything, detector, digging tools, pouch, and every thing. Rubbing alchol may work for cleaning you equipment too. Wash your close in hot water a couple of times or throw them away. Good Luck.???:sad10::(:dontknow:

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with it on you face and around eyes and mouth. If it is serious enough, go see your doctor and he can put you on prednisone (steroid, NOT anabolic!) which will will help make it go away faster. Any other areas of your body that have it, soap and H2O. Keep it clean and dry, apply calamine or other lotion that can help dry it out (astringent). Hesitate to say this but bleach can work well, just be careful. Mix it with water and apply it to the areas or take some into the shower and was with it. I know some will not like that idea but it works. Can sting a bit if you scrub the affected areas good and apply the bleach solution but it does help dry it out faster. Just dilute it with some water first.

Had some buddys a few years back ( I was a military medic) who co competed in a eco-challenge type race over the course of a week (Beast of the East it was called then) and one of them had poison ivy EVERYWHERE by the end of it. The other two guys just got minor hits of it. He took himself into the shower with some bleach and a body scrub pad and got to work. We were laughing our a**es off at him as we could hear some yips and curses coming from the campground bathroom but after he emerged (and the stinging had stopped) he felt much better. It was completely gone in a few days. (not sure if he repeated the treatment at home or not).

Here is what seems to be a "better" way to use the bleach than what my friend did!
How to Kill Poison Ivy With Bleach | eHow
Good luck man. Consider the prednisone too. Talk to your doc.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks docbeav sounds like good advise ill try it. I served with a lot of good people and the medics would be at the top of the list.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is a product at walgreens called tecnu extreme. It is a shower wash that removes the oil from your skin and is the absolute best over the counter product out there for poison ivy or poison oak. I am really allergic to poison ivy and the tecnu is the only product I have ever used that actually clears it up, and it relieves the itching immediately. You can use it head to toe, just try to avoid getting it in your eyes. Go grab a bottle and follow the directions, shower with it a couple times a day and you will be back to normal in a couple days. I cannot recommend this product enough, it has saved me from going to the clinic for a shot several times. Going to the clinic used to be my only course of action. I'd see one small spot of it one day and be covered in it when I woke the following day.

Now if I even think I may have been in contact with the plant I shower with tecnu. They make two versions of the product, the original tecnu which is good to shower with as a preventative after you have been in the woods. That bottle says it can be used to wash gardening (or in our case detecting) tools and gear to remove the oils that cause the rash. The tecnu extreme version is the product to get if you actually have poison ivy or oak, it is almost like a pumice scrub and you scrub the effected areas with it to remove the oils and prevent the rash from spreading. Let us know if you try it and how it works for you, I found out about it from a friend who hunts game.

this is what the bottle you would want looks like
Tecnu_Extreme.jpg

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that said, I totally agree with doc in that if the rash is on your face near the eyes, nose or mouth you may want to hit the clinic and get a steroid shot or pills. The rash can get in your mouth, throat and lungs which I have had happen after attending a bonfire. That was miserable.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks I will check it out

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting poison ivy since I can remember about every other year. I get it pretty bad most of the time and usually end up going to dr. I really don't want to go if I don't have to so thanks for all the suggestions. I Alma's seem to get it on face arms legs and private areas. Pretty miserable for a week or so. I need to find a new way to get rid of it fast thanks everyone.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always not Alma's lol

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the product mentioned above, Tecnu is one of those that will neutralise the offending chemical........depending on how bad your reaction is, even if on the face or other sensitive body parts, I would try the wash and see how you respond..........while uncomfortable, it is rarely life threatening and then only under unusual situations......
While I respect doc beav advice above; I absolutely do NOT agree with using bleach; more so when there is an actual product that works and is safe.
Any use of steriods is best considered only after you use the treatment mentioned above and most of the time you can avoid steriods.
The product above is available over the counter (non prescription). Any steriods for almost all, means a trip to the doctor or emergency room.......which if you need it is good, but generally best avoided if reasonably possible.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ibruprofen works wonders on the itch.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kodiak,

It's seem you're a real man like myself, always scratching your face and your private parts, that's why we men always get poison ivy in those places!!!

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you that are as sensitive as me- watch the roots. They can extend a good distance underground from the leafy part. I don't care what you may read-you can definitely get it from the roots.
Recent studies confirm that it can travel in the blood stream and move anywhere on the body(was considered a "wives tale")-so treat it as quick as possible.
You can keep some alcohol wipes with you when MDing. Watch the hot water if you haven't used alcohol first as it can cause some spreading.
Awful stuff -watch brush fires- people mowing,blowing and weed wacking where it grows. You can get it from-your MD, tools, gloves, PETS and friends.
Been outdoors my entire life-my sensitivity goes up & down. That is lucky for me-because if I stayed at some the higher sensitivity levels I have gone through I'd probably never go out again.
None so far this season. I'll check out that product.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions