My First Heel Plate (Heart Motif)!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: My First Heel Plate (Heart Motif)!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

My First Heel Plate (Heart Motif)!!

Hi! I got out on Saturday for a day or hunting with one of my very good friends--NJLargeCent. He got permission to the grounds of a log cabin house that dates back to ca 1900--not ancient, but any day with nice weather and good company is a treat. The finds were a bit scarce on this property, though we both found a few things.

The best find of my day was something I have been wanting to find for a long time: My first heel plate--it has the three mounting holes and a heart motif. It's on the small side measuring 1-1/2" across its widest part. Ironically my friend Greylock found an identical heel plate the following day. Would love top know more about when these were in use. Mine is missing a chunk, which I don't think I did as there was no bare metal exposed on the edge. I believe it to predate the house, so it may have been done when the property was graded for the house. It was perhaps my deepest item that day!

Other items of note were the buckle with two posts and the escutcheon. There's the body of what appears to be a wristwatch, but I believe it is a toy as the metal is extremely thin. I found a nice looking button, but I believe it to be aluminum and relatively modern.

Also found by me was a large old clock about the diameter of a grapefruit and a Tootsietoy truck and a Lesney Police car (not pictured).

Also pictured are a bridle rosette from my prior hunt and half of a very nice petal (crotal) bell with the name "Parson's [& Smith]" cast into it.

Thanks James for a great day and great company!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heel Plate226.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	811593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Escutcheon228.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	811595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckle227.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	811596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch229.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	811597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Button233.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	811598  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch230.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	811599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosette231.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	811600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crotal Bell232.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	811601  
    Last edited by Erik in NJ; Jun 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Oct 2012
    Upstate NY
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab Explorer Se Pro Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1087 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice finds, I found the same type of heel plate a couple weeks ago.
    Erik in NJ likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Western MA
    Garrett at pro
    876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Our hunts were basically the same just in two different states. You have a lot more of the heel plate and that bell is awesome. Too bad it's only half. Maybe you'll find the other side! Looks like a good day to me.
    Erik in NJ likes this.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1336 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Nice heel plate and I like the crotal bell with the name on it. The ones that I find usually just have a number 1.
    Erik in NJ likes this.

”Piecing the Story of the People, who once lived on and farmed my property, one metal detecting find at a time.”:

us
    JD

Mar 2013
    Chester County Pennsylvania
    Whites XLT, Minelab 705
    51 times
    Very nice,
    Erik in NJ likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greylock View Post
    Our hunts were basically the same just in two different states. You have a lot more of the heel plate and that bell is awesome. Too bad it's only half. Maybe you'll find the other side! Looks like a good day to me.
    Thanks Tom!

But you came home to barbequed pull pork!!

I do like the partial petal (crotal) bell--it's the largest one I have found (a size 4 or 5) and this is the first one with a name cast into it as far as I know. I have been reading up on the heel plate. It seems they are all quite small and there differing opinion about who used the. Seems there are all suits of a deck of cards (hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades) and some say they represented cavalry unit. Others attribute the heart plates to "ladies of the night" as there plates left a sort of calling card in the dirt. I believe they were civilian issue and they could have been used by cavalry units I guess, but the latter story seems very plausible. It's funny that they are all so small, as one would think that cavalry boot heels would be much bigger. I think the jury is still out on this one, but even missing a piece they sell for ca $50 which is amazing! Like I said, this is the first I have found in more than a dozen years of detecting so I was quite thrilled!

We'll have to talk soon about BBQ pork recipes!!

Best, Erik

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thanks WC! The heel plate putting heart shapes in the dirt seems ironically appropos to your signature!

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    7728 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Nice finds Erik. I have found two heel plates with the clover design and would love to find one with a heart design. One of mine came from an 1850s military site in Texas, and the other came from a house site that was active from about 1830 to 1900. I believe the were popular in the 1850s - 1870s. The crotal piece is interesting. I have dug a number of complete ones and lots of frags, especially in the larger sizes, but I have not seen one with those mrkings before.
    Erik in NJ likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Fantastic pics bud,and great finds!!!I wish there were more hard evidence poving or dis-proving the supposed use of those by ladies of ill repute....I just struggle with that theory.....
    Erik in NJ likes this.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Are you sure that's an 1856 heel plate? Looks like 58 to me.
    Erik in NJ likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8476 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuger View Post
    Fantastic pics bud,and great finds!!!I wish there were more hard evidence poving or dis-proving the supposed use of those by ladies of ill repute....I just struggle with that theory.....
    Nice finds Love that heel plate. Kuger and I thought you knew how to track!!
    Erik in NJ likes this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nice finds Erik. I have found two heel plates with the clover design and would love to find one with a heart design. One of mine came from an 1850s military site in Texas, and the other came from a house site that was active from about 1830 to 1900. I believe the were popular in the 1850s - 1870s. The crotal piece is interesting. I have dug a number of complete ones and lots of frags, especially in the larger sizes, but I have not seen one with those mrkings before.
    Hi Steve, Thanks for the kind words! Yes I have envied the heel plates that you guys have dug for a while. We were struggling in this yard for some strange reason and we broke for a late lunch to recharge. Afterwards, I found this in the front yard and it was one of my deeper finds. Like i said the log cabin-style house was built in 1900 so it was not an ancient property by any means, but we hoped that the land was used before for farming. James found a fired musketball and I found this plate constituting some of the older finds. The buckle I found was interesting as I have not seen one before with two posts. Any idea on age of this one?

us
    EJ

May 2013
    NW Ohio
    At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
    1063 times
    Love the bell nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    Erik in NJ likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    Nice finds Love that heel plate. Kuger and I thought you knew how to track!!
    LOL...yes, but the little heart in the footprint makes it so much easier! And I learned on Gunsmoke you can tell the weight of a woman, by the depth of the track!
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    Are you sure that's an 1856 heel plate? Looks like 58 to me.
    It's a '56, but I NEVER went behind the guy's house to get it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links