Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! I got out on Saturday for a day or hunting with one of my very good friends--NJLargeCent. He got permission to the grounds of a log cabin house that dates back to ca 1900--not ancient, but any day with nice weather and good company is a treat. The finds were a bit scarce on this property, though we both found a few things.

The best find of my day was something I have been wanting to find for a long time: My first heel plate--it has the three mounting holes and a heart motif. It's on the small side measuring 1-1/2" across its widest part. Ironically my friend Greylock found an identical heel plate the following day. Would love top know more about when these were in use. Mine is missing a chunk, which I don't think I did as there was no bare metal exposed on the edge. I believe it to predate the house, so it may have been done when the property was graded for the house. It was perhaps my deepest item that day!

Other items of note were the buckle with two posts and the escutcheon. There's the body of what appears to be a wristwatch, but I believe it is a toy as the metal is extremely thin. I found a nice looking button, but I believe it to be aluminum and relatively modern.

Also found by me was a large old clock about the diameter of a grapefruit and a Tootsietoy truck and a Lesney Police car (not pictured). :)

Also pictured are a bridle rosette from my prior hunt and half of a very nice petal (crotal) bell with the name "Parson's [& Smith]" cast into it.

Thanks James for a great day and great company! :)

Attachments

• Heel Plate226.jpg
    Heel Plate226.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Escutcheon228.jpg
    Escutcheon228.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Buckle227.jpg
    Buckle227.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Watch229.jpg
    Watch229.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Button233.jpg
    Button233.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Watch230.jpg
    Watch230.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 139
  • Rosette231.jpg
    Rosette231.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Crotal Bell232.jpg
    Crotal Bell232.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 3

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I found the same type of heel plate a couple weeks ago.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our hunts were basically the same just in two different states. You have a lot more of the heel plate and that bell is awesome. Too bad it's only half. Maybe you'll find the other side! Looks like a good day to me.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice heel plate and I like the crotal bell with the name on it. The ones that I find usually just have a number 1.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our hunts were basically the same just in two different states. You have a lot more of the heel plate and that bell is awesome. Too bad it's only half. Maybe you'll find the other side! Looks like a good day to me.

Thanks Tom!

But you came home to barbequed pull pork!! :icon_thumleft:

I do like the partial petal (crotal) bell--it's the largest one I have found (a size 4 or 5) and this is the first one with a name cast into it as far as I know. I have been reading up on the heel plate. It seems they are all quite small and there differing opinion about who used the. Seems there are all suits of a deck of cards (hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades) and some say they represented cavalry unit. Others attribute the heart plates to "ladies of the night" as there plates left a sort of calling card in the dirt. I believe they were civilian issue and they could have been used by cavalry units I guess, but the latter story seems very plausible. It's funny that they are all so small, as one would think that cavalry boot heels would be much bigger. I think the jury is still out on this one, but even missing a piece they sell for ca $50 which is amazing! Like I said, this is the first I have found in more than a dozen years of detecting so I was quite thrilled!

We'll have to talk soon about BBQ pork recipes!! :)

Best, Erik

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks WC! The heel plate putting heart shapes in the dirt seems ironically appropos to your signature! :)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Erik. I have found two heel plates with the clover design and would love to find one with a heart design. One of mine came from an 1850s military site in Texas, and the other came from a house site that was active from about 1830 to 1900. I believe the were popular in the 1850s - 1870s. The crotal piece is interesting. I have dug a number of complete ones and lots of frags, especially in the larger sizes, but I have not seen one with those mrkings before.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic pics bud,and great finds!!!I wish there were more hard evidence poving or dis-proving the supposed use of those by ladies of ill repute....I just struggle with that theory.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure that's an 1856 heel plate? Looks like 58 to me.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic pics bud,and great finds!!!I wish there were more hard evidence poving or dis-proving the supposed use of those by ladies of ill repute....I just struggle with that theory.....

Nice finds Love that heel plate. Kuger and I thought you knew how to track!!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Erik. I have found two heel plates with the clover design and would love to find one with a heart design. One of mine came from an 1850s military site in Texas, and the other came from a house site that was active from about 1830 to 1900. I believe the were popular in the 1850s - 1870s. The crotal piece is interesting. I have dug a number of complete ones and lots of frags, especially in the larger sizes, but I have not seen one with those mrkings before.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the kind words! Yes I have envied the heel plates that you guys have dug for a while. We were struggling in this yard for some strange reason and we broke for a late lunch to recharge. Afterwards, I found this in the front yard and it was one of my deeper finds. Like i said the log cabin-style house was built in 1900 so it was not an ancient property by any means, but we hoped that the land was used before for farming. James found a fired musketball and I found this plate constituting some of the older finds. The buckle I found was interesting as I have not seen one before with two posts. Any idea on age of this one?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bell nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Love that heel plate. Kuger and I thought you knew how to track!!:laughing7:

LOL...yes, but the little heart in the footprint makes it so much easier! And I learned on Gunsmoke you can tell the weight of a woman, by the depth of the track! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey brother! These heel plates are very enigmatic, no? If they were all plates with hearts I could see that the theory makes sense--I could even see prostitutes buying the heart motif ones especially from merchants who marketed all 4 or 5 types as a type of tacit "calling card", but what doesn't seem to make sense to me is the fact that they are ALL small--the hearts, clubs, diamonds, and spades as well as the star plates. I can't imagine men wearing boots with tiny heels as they would sink into the mud that much easier. Can you imagine Hoss Cartwright with a heel like that??? :laughing7: Is there any evidence of cavalry units using these civilian plates on their boots? Then again why wouldn't they be larger? I am aware of the controversy with the "heart" buckles. Would love to know more about these plates, but I agree with your hesitation to buy the story.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also doubt that any guy of the time would have a heart heel plate.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds were definitely worth the effort. The bell is really really nice. One day I'll get out there with you guys. :(

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting