diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Rare indeed. I don't believe it to be a token but it may be something besides a wax seal. Did I miss another post about this? What is it made of? I found a little more info concerning objects relating to Wilkes-

The cause of 'Wilkes and Liberty' rallied enormous support and sympathy throughout the country. Tokens, badges and brooches were produced in quantity, as was commemorative pottery and porcelain. The British Museum has a several items associated with Wilkes.
Birmingham was the main centre for the production of such small objects as enamel boxes, scent-bottles, plaques and candlesticks.

Here- British Museum - Enamel snuff box and cover, painted with the seated figure of John Wilkes

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great id by Jeff of Pa , I figured out the word Liberty immediately but would have never got Wilkes , a shady character but somewhat famous 8-) , awesome find with a story , Congrats coop

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sort of looks like it may have been from a seal, but if so wouldn't the incuse markings be a mirror image of those words??

it is. see first pic.

I flipped his pics to make it easier to read

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historic find Coop :icon_thumleft: i found a little history on the meaning of the number 45 that is on your piece hope this helps Jim
History

1762–63

Issues number 1 (5 June 1762) to number 44 (2 April 1763) were published on consecutive Saturdays.
The newspaper was begun in response to The Briton, a pro-government paper started by Tobias Smollett. Only eight days after that newspaper began publication, the first issue of The North Briton came out. It then came out weekly until the resignation of the Bute government.
Issue 45

The North Briton issue number 45 (23 April 1763) is the most famous issue of the paper. It criticized a royal speech in which King George III praised the Treaty of Paris ending the Seven Years' War. Wilkes was charged with libel (accusing the King of lying), and imprisoned for a short time in the Tower of London. Wilkes challenged the warrant for his arrest and seizure of his paper, eventually winning the case. His courtroom speeches started the "Wilkes and Liberty!" cry, popular slogan for freedom of speech and resistance to power. Later that year, Wilkes reprinted the issue, which was again seized by the government. Before it could be burned, assembled crowd rescued the text, and the ensuing events caused Wilkes to flee across the English Channel to France, and be eventually imprisoned again. In 1764, the British House of Commons declared Wilkes the author of number 45. Nonetheless, by the time Wilkes was released from prison in 1770, "45" had was still a popular icon not only of Wilkes, but of freedom of speech in general

The North Briton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, THAT, is one of those finds that just sings historical significance! Those are the ones I love the most!

Congrats!
HH!

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be great if you can find the rest, or maybe you already have? I've never seen a seal lead to a story like that, so very cool.
Thanks Ip, The site has been pounded for years so I would imagine someone else found the rest of the seal, Ill keep looking though. HH

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's one cool seal, with providence.

It's would be cool to see a wax impression once it's cleaned up a bit.

It's a banner worthy find anyday.
Thanks, Yeah to me it doesn't get more Banner worthy than this but most members on here would rather see a diamond ring or something that's not historically significant up top, Not that it matters to me Im beyond thrilled to have it in my collection. Im not sure what to press it in to show the image maybe play-doh??

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot about the image being reversed. Disregard my last post, it is definitely a seal.

I vote banner on both the historical significance and the rarity of the piece.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly, that is an awsome piece of American history. It just doesn't get any better then that now does it?
This is truly a piece worthy of the National Museum of American History not just the Banner but all I can do is vote for this to be on the Banner.
Congrats on an amazing discovery and I hope you find the mount for it.
ZDD

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly, that is an awsome piece of American history. It just doesn't get any better then that now does it?
This is truly a piece worthy of the National Museum of American History not just the Banner but all I can do is vote for this to be on the Banner.
Congrats on an amazing discovery and I hope you find the mount for it.
ZDD
Thanks, Going to look for the mount tomorrow. HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and it sure has a lot of history behind it. Good I.D and would be a favorite in any collection. I like post where you have to actually study the history. Treasure is not always a shiny object. Nice job with all the members knowledge.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fob insert!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic! such a cool piece of history to find there. he was a very interesting fellow.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Congrats on a really cool find ! Banner worthy for sure.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked this part where the man fought for we he thought was right.... He fought for freedom of the press to criticize ministers and report proceedings in Parliament, for security from arbitrary arrest and seizure of property, and for the rights of electors. Wilke's continuing challenges to government authority, even after he became a Member of Parliament in 1761,

What a guy ! I came home and saw it made banner. Congratulations! Great historical find.
:thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest: