LG. CANVAS OIL PAINTING -Landscape

Wheels

Jul 31, 2006
I found this oil painting that I know nothing about. I assume it's german because of the stamp in back. Can anyone figure out the artist so I can learn more about this painting? Here are the details: This is a Large Beautiful Oil Painting on Canvas of a Landscape with people, a dog, and homes in the distance, that is signed on the left lower corner. The Artist is a German, and on the back has the stamp stating Victoria Maltuch, Munchen. The painting was painted with a tip of the knife and brushes. The entire painting is in very good condition - there is a very little divot in the canvas - NO HOLE. The total length of the picture including the frame is 42"Long and 32"Tall Only the oil painting measures 36LX24T.

Attachments

• lpaint1.jpg
    lpaint1.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 1,908
  • lpaint3.jpg
    lpaint3.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 1,218
  • lpaint5.jpg
    lpaint5.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 2,832
  • lpaint4.jpg
    lpaint4.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 2

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the painters signature is hidden by the frame. Have you taken it out and checked?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Nice painting Wheels. I searched and searched and searched and can't find anything that resembles the painting.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The stamping on the back A. SCHUTZMANN, HERRSCHING, BEI MUNCHEN, and then VIKTORIA MALTUCH is the name of the maker of the canvas, a well known maker of quality canvasses in Munich, Germany! They are not an Art Gallery and in no way associated with the Seller of the Oil Painting or the Artist with the exception of selling the Artist the canvas. As recommended, you will probably have to remove the frame to see if the painting is signed, then go from there.

Frank

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice painting just found one same stamp German artist

Last edited:

Marlene couls

Apr 29, 2020
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil painting -maltuch stamp

E1B0DD53-156C-48EB-9CB7-91E8ACBF12CF.jpeg 223122E4-D370-47D6-84CA-70CF02EBF160.jpeg 4EDC4A68-60D2-49CB-90B9-58052C8C7E35.jpeg

Trying to find information on this painting. Patron saint.maltuch stamp on back. Wood frame painted gold. Can’t make out from signature. 39 by 27 inches

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As @huntsman53 says, the stamp on the back has nothing to do with the artist or the painting. It's what's know in the art world as a "product mark" and you'll see them on canvases, stretchers, boards and frames. When on a canvas, it at least tells you that you have an original and not a print, but canvas products from this maker were widely sold to amateurs and professionals alike throughout Europe and beyond. The fact that's an original does not in itself give any real indication of value. It's the artist that matters.

"Viktoria Maltuch" was a trade name for canvas products sold by A. Schutzmann but their factory was bombed out during WWII and rebuilt after the war in Herrsching, southwest of Munich. Since your stamp is for Herrsching, the painting will be post-war and likely no earlier than the 1950s.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions