Rev. War - 38th Regiment of Foot button - Toasted but Ill take it! Spanish Silver

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rev. War - 38th Regiment of Foot button - Toasted but I'll take it! Spanish Silver

This is my last catch-up post of better finds made over the last month. These finds include two pieces of Spanish silver, an early copper halfpence coin (too corroded to ID), a shoe buckles fragment, along with a few buttons, musket balls, etc. One of the silver coins is so heavily worn from circulation that it has no distinguishing marks remaining. I’m certain that it’s Spanish silver, although I first thought it might be an early Massachusetts Silver sixpence coin when first dug. It had me all worked up for few moments.

As you can see in comparison to the modern US quarter, the piece of cut silver from the early to mid 1700’s is about the size of an aspirin pill. It’s tiny, but interesting, as you can see in the close-up – the coin was holed before it was cut. I always thought that such coins had been holed long after they circulated to be worn as a novelty item, but it’s clear from this find that such coins were holed long ago by the early colonists. Who knows why? I believe that the rectangular piece with the notch at one end is a lead flint grip, for use with a flintlock musket.

P6060001.JPG

P6060004.JPG

P6060007.JPG

P6060012.JPG

A second site produced a British 38th Regiment of Foot button. Although the British occupied part of my home state for three years during the Revolutionary War, this is my first regiment button. I’ve recovered cannonballs, musket balls, grape shot, etc. in years past, but never a button till now. I’m fully aware that its condition is awful. The picture that I’ve attached is actually kind to its overall appearance. Much of the button is gone, as 200+ years of seasonal plowing in a rocky field has left its mark; nonetheless, enough of the design on the button remains to permit a certain ID – 38th Regiment of Foot. It’s toasted, but I’ll take it. I also found an early lead seal, probably 17th Century, and half of a jaw harp on the same day. I’ve yet to find a whole jaw harp.

P5030082.JPG

P5040090.JPG

Good Hunting!

Attachments

• P5040104.JPG
    P5040104.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds there!:thumbsup: It's cool that you were able to get an ID on that button.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread