Coin spill with BIG SILVER... Large cent.. buttons.. watch fob.. interesting bell

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was great today so my buddy and I got out for a while to a site that dates back to the early to mid 1800's. We both started hunting along the mature tree line near the road in the front yard.
174.JPG
Not even 5 minutes into the hunt I got my first signal and dug up a coin spill that started with a 1918 S Walking Liberty half dollar at only 3 inches deep.
167.JPG 168.JPG
I re-scanned the hole and was still getting a good signal in the side of the hole. Out popped a 1936 Mercury dime and a 1936 Buffalo nickel.
171.JPG 172.JPG
Still getting a good signal in the hole I proceeded to recover 3 wheat pennies from the same hole. I kept searching in this area and the next signal I got was a good solid 80 VDI on my VX3. I was surprised to see a large copper coin in the hole at about 3 inches deep very close to an old tree stump.
179.JPG 180.JPG Turned out to be an 1828 Coronet large cent.
About 10 feet away from the large cent I dug what appears to be a watch fob. It says "International Harvester Company of America" and advertises all the equipment they sell.
175.JPG 176.JPG
I'm not sure what the picture limit is in one post so I'll add a few more on in a second.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt! The walker's looking good and would like to see all of them cleaned up,HH and hit that place real well cause I smell a bank there somewhere....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, there is something quite beautiful about that first picture. It would make an awesome front cover for a book about this hobby.

Wonderful items, site, post!

Thanks!
HH!
Interesting thought WHATIFIND. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree!!!

I LOVE taking pictures.. many at weird moments (this is an example) and as I'm taking it, its like "why you taking a picture of THIS?" but later..... Oh boy, do they LOVE that photograph!
Too many pictures are "set" (stand up straight & smile) its the action / real life shots that stand the test of time!

IMO - I would copyright that shot!!
Thanks for the reply. It was a spur of the moment picture that I wasn't really thinking about but it came out pretty good. I might have to look into getting it copyrighted.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a killer hunt! Love that bell!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an amazing hunt!, fantastic assortment of finds

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Evo glad to see you had a great hunt! This is why we are all into this hobby the thrill of the finding things lost in the soil. Love that bell too bad it is so damaged, wonder if it could be restored. CARM

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good day!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the bell!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt! The walker's looking good and would like to see all of them cleaned up,HH and hit that place real well cause I smell a bank there somewhere....
I cleaned up most of the finds I made yesterday. Some came out pretty good... some..not so much. The large cent had a little detail left on it ... in the right light you can see the date of 1828 but this coin has certainly seen better days. Here's how it turned out.
202.JPG 203.JPG

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that bell is killer!

You know, I'm stumped about the metal those bells are made of. Looks like tombac (silver colored), acts like a tombac alloy (brittle), but when you scrape it/break it--which you won't do with your bell! LOL--it is brass colored on the inside.

Strange!

I have dug pieces of that metal all over, and wondered what it was for a long time, then I dug a complete bell made of the same stuff. Seems like bells were the only thing made of the stuff.

-Buck

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, the bell even has a crack in it! What a hunt! Sweet saves there my friend. Very nice. That deserves two thumbs up! :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread