Coin spill with BIG SILVER... Large cent.. buttons.. watch fob.. interesting bell

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was great today so my buddy and I got out for a while to a site that dates back to the early to mid 1800's. We both started hunting along the mature tree line near the road in the front yard.
174.JPG
Not even 5 minutes into the hunt I got my first signal and dug up a coin spill that started with a 1918 S Walking Liberty half dollar at only 3 inches deep.
167.JPG 168.JPG
I re-scanned the hole and was still getting a good signal in the side of the hole. Out popped a 1936 Mercury dime and a 1936 Buffalo nickel.
171.JPG 172.JPG
Still getting a good signal in the hole I proceeded to recover 3 wheat pennies from the same hole. I kept searching in this area and the next signal I got was a good solid 80 VDI on my VX3. I was surprised to see a large copper coin in the hole at about 3 inches deep very close to an old tree stump.
179.JPG 180.JPG Turned out to be an 1828 Coronet large cent.
About 10 feet away from the large cent I dug what appears to be a watch fob. It says "International Harvester Company of America" and advertises all the equipment they sell.
175.JPG 176.JPG
I'm not sure what the picture limit is in one post so I'll add a few more on in a second.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far with the photo's posted I'd say you had an awesome hunt!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures.... Here's a compilation of today's finds.
182.JPG 183.JPG 184.JPG
193.JPG 194.JPG
I also dug an interesting bell with an eagle and stars/rays motif. Appears to be bronze.
186.JPG 187.JPG
Here's the watch fob and a piece of ornate costume jewelry I found cleaned up a bit.
389.JPG 390.JPG

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great site and hunt!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, All good for sure esp the half, they don;t show up too often, but that bell is special.
Congrats.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds , any markings on the bell
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the top of the bell is broken and there is a small crack down the side. Looks like the Liberty Bell. :laughing7: Here's a couple more pics... I cleaned it up a bit. The only marks I can see are on the top of the bell...but I can't make any sense of them.???
197.JPG 198.JPG 199.JPG
200.JPG 201.JPG

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you kidding me!!!

I saw the first pictures and was waiting for the page to load so I could click "like" - then the other pics came up!!!

great finds!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me!!!

I saw the first pictures and was waiting for the page to load so I could click "like" - then the other pics came up!!!

great finds!!!!!!!
Thanks for the reply BVI Hunter. I was very fortunate today with some of the recoveries I made. I try to take pics of the hunt as I go so I can make a post that makes people feel like they were there when the artifacts were found. I definitely had a lot of pics to post today.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply BVI Hunter. I was very fortunate today with some of the recoveries I made. I try to take pics of the hunt as I go so I can make a post that makes people feel like they were there when the artifacts were found. I definitely had a lot of pics to post today.

Im gonna try that!!

it really "adds" to the authenticity of the find!!

way to go!!

Oh how I miss digging in grass and around trees - F***** sand!!!!!
:tongue3:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, there is something quite beautiful about that first picture. It would make an awesome front cover for a book about this hobby.

Wonderful items, site, post!

Thanks!
HH!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know, there is something quite beautiful about that first picture. It would make an awesome front cover for a book about this hobby.

Wonderful items, site, post!

Thanks!
HH!

I agree!!!

I LOVE taking pictures.. many at weird moments (this is an example) and as I'm taking it, its like "why you taking a picture of THIS?" but later..... Oh boy, do they LOVE that photograph!
Too many pictures are "set" (stand up straight & smile) its the action / real life shots that stand the test of time!

IMO - I would copyright that shot!!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds Evolution!! You had a great day bud!! Love the bell, I thought the same thing about liberty bell as I was reading your post!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread