First hunt with the ATPro made me a believer!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a new ATPro today as a fathers day/graduation gift to myself.:metaldetector: Went to 2 of my spots that i went over numerous times with my ace350 and managed 1.52 in clad, some other junk, and this pendant/medallion thing that i think may be silver. No marks but it looks like silver and sounds like silver when i drop it lol. it has the word "soni soit qui mal y pense" on it. also 4 more wheats that i for sure never got signals on with my 350. That makes 106 wheats on the year. :headbang:Some of my targets had multiple pcs of junk in the hole with them. This thing is a beast. It feels solid as a rock compared to the 350. Dont get me wrong i love my 350 but I felt it was time for an upgrade. Thanks for looking and HH! IMG01188-20130610-0301.jpg IMG01189-20130610-0301.jpg IMG01191-20130610-0308.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently this is a Garrett stroking post. Let me say, my first silver was found with a vintage Garrett Groundhog in the late 80's. It is a 1945 Washington. Despite having lost nearly everything since then, I managed to hang on it this coin somehow. I actually used it a reference in a recent eBay sale. It' looks real sexy next to a moderately sized nugget.

PICT1890.JPG

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently this is a Garrett stroking post. Let me say, my first silver was found with a vintage Garrett Groundhog in the late 80's.

I know the feeling. Check my equipment list. :) I still have it and it still works!! LOL

HH!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the finds for a minute - (since I don't know a thing about the AT pro) The item with the French inscription looks like it may be
a hat badge , I would think military or ceremonial guard of some kind .

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the finds for a minute - (since I don't know a thing about the AT pro) .

Ok, ok, if we have to!! But, is that long enough? Can we go back to talking about the AT-Pro now? ??? LOL

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the finds for a minute - (since I don't know a thing about the AT pro) The item with the French inscription looks like it may be
a hat badge , I would think military or ceremonial guard of some kind .

thanks!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! I'm also waiting to hear your own report on depth. :)

HH!

as far as depth is concerned, i dug the wheats at about anywhere between 5-7 inches, the 7 inch one rang in awesome, but i dont remember the number, forgot to look lol newb

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as depth is concerned, i dug the wheats at about anywhere between 5-7 inches, the 7 inch one rang in awesome, but i dont remember the number, forgot to look lol newb

I'd be interested in seeing if, after a while, you're satisfied with the depth.

Here's another suggestion. Yes, pay VERY close attention to the numbers for a while. But, also, try to call your shots every time. After a while you'll start tying the numbers to your finds. Not an exact science by any means, but helps in the learning.

Also, where is your machine ground balancing at? Try different spots in one of your hunts to see how much it varies.

HH!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd be interested in seeing if, after a while, you're satisfied with the depth.

Here's another suggestion. Yes, pay VERY close attention to the numbers for a while. But, also, try to call your shots every time. After a while you'll start tying the numbers to your finds. Not an exact science by any means, but helps in the learning.

Also, where is your machine ground balancing at? Try different spots in one of your hunts to see how much it varies.

HH!

I'm getting pretty good at calling my shots. For instance, 9 times outta 10, 77-80 is a penny, 81-83 is a dime, 84-88 is a quarter. Haven't found enough silver yet to be able to call that one, and most of my 53s turn out to be pulltabs. No gold yet, unfortunately. My ground mineralization ranges around 69, 79, or low 80s depending on whose neighborhood I'm in, my own or my parents'.

Edit: Depth... if it says 2", I usually find it right near the surface. If it says 4", I usually find it at 2-3". 6" turns out to be about 5", so it seems as if the MD is rounding the depth ranges up.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I have found with the AT Pro is that wheats/copper pennies ring up slightly lower (77-79) then the zinc pennies (79-81). This number also will very depending on soil conditions.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I have found with the AT Pro is that wheats/copper pennies ring up slightly lower (77-79) then the zinc pennies (79-81). This number also will very depending on soil conditions.

Yeah I noticed that too, but I'll dig any signal above 77 so I just lumped all pennies into one range.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread