First hunt with the ATPro made me a believer!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a new ATPro today as a fathers day/graduation gift to myself.:metaldetector: Went to 2 of my spots that i went over numerous times with my ace350 and managed 1.52 in clad, some other junk, and this pendant/medallion thing that i think may be silver. No marks but it looks like silver and sounds like silver when i drop it lol. it has the word "soni soit qui mal y pense" on it. also 4 more wheats that i for sure never got signals on with my 350. That makes 106 wheats on the year. :headbang:Some of my targets had multiple pcs of junk in the hole with them. This thing is a beast. It feels solid as a rock compared to the 350. Dont get me wrong i love my 350 but I felt it was time for an upgrade. Thanks for looking and HH! IMG01188-20130610-0301.jpg IMG01189-20130610-0301.jpg IMG01191-20130610-0308.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, kinda what I said. ;) Good choice! The proof is now in the pudding. :)

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, kinda what I said. ;) Good choice! The proof is now in the pudding. :)

HH!

yeah you along with others on Tnet gave some sound advice, I really like this thing! even the low grunt from iron isnt a terrible sound. My 350s iron grunt made me wanna wrap it around a tree, very loud and annoying. The atpro is smooth and has some nice tones, especially the high ones:laughing7:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The badge is the British royal coat of arms & I would guess that it is military related. I am not sure of age. Honi soit qui mal y pense" is a French phrase meaning: "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it". Nice find!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The badge is the British royal coat of arms & I would guess that it is military related. I am not sure of age. Honi soit qui mal y pense" is a French phrase meaning: "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it". Nice find!

thanks magnum!, it has all the signs of silver but i dont know, i dont have a test kit either. It can be aluminum but i cant bend it, but i dont know if thats a valid way of determining silver or not

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjon455 said:
thanks magnum!, it has all the signs of silver but i dont know, i dont have a test kit either. It can be aluminum but i cant bend it, but i dont know if thats a valid way of determining silver or not

It looks like a silver plate to me. I can see what looks like brass wearing through on the back.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorgeous badge! :hello2:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a silver plate to me. I can see what looks like brass wearing through on the back.

yeah it could be, I did try polishing it becuase it had that yellowish tint on it, thats y most of it is "silver" looking and the area near the post is yellow

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like this thing! even the low grunt from iron isnt a terrible sound. My 350s iron grunt made me wanna wrap it around a tree, very loud and annoying. The atpro is smooth and has some nice tones, especially the high ones:laughing7:

Ya know, you remind of a very valid point and one that really bears repeating.

When choosing a detector, remember that you are going to be listening to it for many, many hours to come. If the pitch or frequencies it generates is even a little bit annoying to one's ears at first. It's NOT going to get better! Everyone should "listen" to a proposed detector for a bit to make sure it's sounds aren't hard on their ears.

Like you say, there are a few that simply cannot stand for a few seconds, let alone hours! The AT-Pro has a frequency that I found I could listen to for hours without a problem. If it's too harsh on you, you're not going to get out of the detector what you might expect.

So, along with the depth, range, discrimination, ground canceling. It would be a good thing to simply listen to the signals it can make before buying.

I suspect and predict that you are going to be a VERY happy camper with this one.

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When choosing a detector, remember that you are going to be listening to it for many, many hours to come. If the pitch or frequencies it generates is even a little bit annoying to one's ears at first. It's NOT going to get better!
HH!

absolutely!, ive read multiple reviews why some cant stand minelabs. I read somewhere that someone said it sounded like R2D2 on crack and thats why he got rid of it. Thats not to say i wouldnt gladly use a Minelab, but it just goes to show how, like you said, those tones can make or break your use of any chosen detector

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....
glad you are one with your new machine. Nice assortment of finds and i think a return visit to that spot is in order. My Pro sitting in the spare room....using my 24 year old Freedom 3 Plus...when machines were machines!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just recently started using my AT Pro in Pro mode. When I first got it, I didn't like how the tones were in Pro mode because they were difficult for me to interpret, coming up from a dual-toned BH Tracker IV. However, after getting fully used to Standard mode and then experimenting with Pro mode as a way to sort of "home in" on a prospective signal, I began to understand the tones of Pro mode. Since I've been using Pro mode full time I've found 3 silver dimes in 2 weeks (1941 & 1944 mercs and a 1952-D Roosevelt) and several more wheat cents that didn't hit in Standard. I've also been asking more old friends and neighbors for lawn permissions and finding a lot more coinage.

I still hate using the AT Pro at the beach, though. GFL to anyone who uses it at the shore and finds anything, every time I hit the sand it just goes nuts on me and I never find squat. I prefer land hunting anyway, the beaches I'm used to are usually far too windy and chilly even in the heat of summer.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT Pro in March and I have been thrilled with it. There is a wealth of information in all the sounds it makes in pro mode with iron audio turned on. Once you get used to it you can just about a map the ground under your feet in your mind.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still hate using the AT Pro at the beach, though. GFL to anyone who uses it at the shore and finds anything, every time I hit the sand it just goes nuts on me and I never find squat.

I prefer land hunting as well and I haven't truly tested on on a beach yet. But, maybe an expert can confirm; I think that turning down the sensitivity on a beach, especially wet sand, would help.

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips/advice guys!, i used pro mode right off the bat with the iron notched to 25, and dug everything above that. The learning curve isnt terrible for me as it is very similar to my ace350 as far as pinpointing and knowing where the hotspot is on the coil. I just gotta get used to nickel signals with this one, i keep ignoring the lower of the high tones and that can be either nickels or gold rings as you are aware

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips/advice guys!, i used pro mode right off the bat with the iron notched to 25, and dug everything above that. The learning curve isnt terrible for me as it is very similar to my ace350 as far as pinpointing and knowing where the hotspot is on the coil. I just gotta get used to nickel signals with this one, i keep ignoring the lower of the high tones and that can be either nickels or gold rings as you are aware

As far as pinpointing goes, this machine is the BEST one I've ever used in that regard. Once I figured it out of course. :)

I use the technique of detuning the detector right next to the target in question. Then, find the loudest spot and then draw the head toward me. When the signal starts to fade the target will be either right under or directly in front of the head. Hope that helps.

I'm at a point where my plugs are usually only a couple inches across.

About the nickels? It's ok to ignore them, just let me know where you hunted. ;) LOL

Hey! I'm also waiting to hear your own report on depth. :)

HH!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread