Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a reference to a campground on a nearby lake while reading old newspapers this winter. I had heard of it before but I had know idea how many people it had hosted in its heyday. According to numerous news articles from 1917-1919, it was literally thousands. The campground had numerous cabins and hosted a variety of events in its lifetime. I stopped finding articles about it in the newspapers after the mid 20's. The earliest map I could find of the area was 1930 but it was still on there.

After some google earth overlaying I pinpointed an approx location. Luckily it was now within the boundaries of a city park and in an undeveloped area.
Today was the day I wanted to swing by and take a look. I wanted to know if it had been trashed by modern park goers or discovered by other hunters and pounded to death or if I could even pinpoint the exact location.
I had to park on the side of the road since the main park was a few blocks away. I hike into the woods and within a hundred yards I knew I was in the right location. I start seeing Non-native flowers and shrubs, old retaining walls, broken glass and a rock lined well. One thing that was missing though, and I was glad, is modern trash.

I knew I wouldn't last long in the sweltering heat/humidity combination today so I set the disc. high on the Shadow and tried to quickly find a few coins to get an idea of where I wanted to lower the disc and start grid searching. I only spent about an hour here. No coins but I did find the Boat license posted below. I'm thinking we may have a potentially good site. Secluded and within a public park, no modern trash, found a high disc item so maybe it hasn't been pounded and the area of the campground is quite large. We may have to wait until it cools off to do any serious hunting though. Bout time to get in the lake instead of in the woods at the edge of lake!

Boat Lic 168.jpg Boat License 168 - 1920.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that thing is pretty cool! sounds like u put in ur leg work. Itll be a sweet day when all ur hard work turns into some sweet finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread