The West Village

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been lurking for a while but have never posted anything because I've never really found anything worth posting. Until today...

I found this at a park in Western Ohio, only about 3 inches deep near the play sets. It rang up as a 12-33 on the E-Trac and was found in the same vicinity as a 1942 Merc, a 1953 Wheat, and a 1967 Mexican dime. At first I wasn't sure what it was and it wasn't until I got home and cleaned it up that I began to wonder whether or not it is real.

Lion Daalder 1.JPG Lion Daalder 2.JPG Lion Daalder 3.JPG

Google says its a Dutch Lion Daalder (Leeuwen-daalder), and if you can read the date at the top, it is from 1640. Being how I've never found anything older than the 1920s here in western Ohio, I have to question whether or not this is authentic. I haven't cleaned it up aside from washing it with water so the obverse is a little crusty, and unfortunately I dinged the edge with my shovel. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for cleaning or appraisal/authenticity, I'd be happy to hear them.

Upvote 2

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the base metal? If you dinged it what color is the metal? I would guess that a coin of that size should be made of silver--so I would guess there's a chance it's a very oxidized silver dollar type coin or a period counterfeit. Try wrapping it wet in some aluminum foil and see if it starts to clean up. If it's silver it will start to get warm and smell like rotten eggs. Wash in dishsoap and water and repeat till it's clean (if there's this reaction to the foil). Either way, it's an outstanding find!! Congrats!

Last edited:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn looking coin! I hope it's the real deal

Dig until your arm falls off

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector_searching.gif
3rd - Nice finds The West Village.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

The West Village

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly another matching one, so definitely not real.

CC-17 Dutch Lion Dollar of 1640 COPY for sale

Thanks for the info, however the one in this article says the reproductions are stamped with the word COPY, and this one does not have anything like that. I am still really skeptical, however upon further research it appears to be the right size, width, and weight. The part that I dinged on the rim seems to be of homogenous material, in that I can't see any plating or alloys inside, and the rim doesn't appear to be glued or welded together. I think that it is silver in composition but I really don't want to do anything to damage it further to test it out. If I take it to a coin dealer how likely would it be that they would be able to give me an idea as to its veracity?

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one the same year 1640 in Florida a few years back it didn't say copy on it but it ended up testing fake.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one of those in Missouri while removing a large tree stump. 1640 also. Exact match (appears) to mine. Mine is much cleaner and I just assumed it wasn't real after cleaning it up. How it got into ground by tree stump in Missouri I'll never know. It was about 8-10" down when it was dug it up with a shovel full of dirt. If I can find mine quickly I'll post it also for your review. But it really is a neat find whether it's real or a reproduction.

I EDITED: Mackaydon's above post WAS MY COIN which I enquired about years ago... http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26190 What a small world with the internet. MINE DID NOT SAY.... COPY either.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, however the one in this article says the reproductions are stamped with the word COPY, and this one does not have anything like that. I am still really skeptical, however upon further research it appears to be the right size, width, and weight. The part that I dinged on the rim seems to be of homogenous material, in that I can't see any plating or alloys inside, and the rim doesn't appear to be glued or welded together. I think that it is silver in composition but I really don't want to do anything to damage it further to test it out. If I take it to a coin dealer how likely would it be that they would be able to give me an idea as to its veracity?

I've owned many of the real ones and have one right now as a matter of fact. The biggest give away is the shape, all three are cast the exact same way with the same letters cut off. That is about as good as any DNA submission you'd see in a court case. Not real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread