217.7 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 1

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 1800 to me great find

Dig until your arm falls off

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice largie. :thumbsup: I'm jealous that you can find coins like that in your own yard.... My house was built in 1951.... and I didn't even find any silver in the yard when I hunted it...only wheat pennies.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that's a Draped Bust large cent! An outstanding find and great that you found one in your own yard! The bust on that coin is perhaps my favorite--perhaps it's because of the well endowed "bust" the bust of Miss Liberty is sporting! :laughing7:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in my yard today. Over the past year a have pulled a lot of older coins from my yard, including one other large cent. This one is definitely my oldest though. Wish I could read the last number, but I'm extremely happy either way. I'm not even 100% on the 180- but I'm pretty sure.

Nice find!

Just curious, are you able to give dimensions & weight? I have a very toasty copper and your pic looks very much like what I really need to struggle to see on my find.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome!, nice draped bust LC!

OP
OP
Gierbitz

Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like 1800 to me great find

Dig until your arm falls off

I agree, after you said that and I really look, it does look like a possible 0 at the end. Thanks!

OP
OP
Gierbitz

Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice largie. :thumbsup: I'm jealous that you can find coins like that in your own yard.... My house was built in 1951.... and I didn't even find any silver in the yard when I hunted it...only wheat pennies.

Thanks! My house was built in the 40's but on some 1800's maps it shows there being 2 houses side by side with 3 smaller buildings behind them. I'm sure one of the main buildings was on my property and the other was on one of my neighbors. There is part of an old foundation sticking out of the back of my house and 2 others along the small woods behind me. Unfortunately the wooded area has been the last who knows how many years junk pile. I need to slowly clean it out to be able to hunt it properly.

OP
OP
Gierbitz

Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!

Just curious, are you able to give dimensions & weight? I have a very toasty copper and your pic looks very much like what I really need to struggle to see on my find.
Sorry man, i don't have anything to give you an accurate measurement but i did weigh it at work today. It bounced between 9 and 10 grams but settled at 9. our scale isn't the greatest though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread