seated liberty "love token"

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at first I was unsure as to what I found..after a little research I found this to be a "love token" basically a coin that back in the day was converted into a keepsake by removing one side of a coin and then a jeweler would inscribe there own design.. like a monogram etc.. this one say "Sidney" .. wish that was my name but I think its better then a normal seated liberty quarter.
By the way it was found in 8 inches of rock and silt in a saltwater cove behind a "stage coach" / post office that was in business in the mid 1800.. I found it at low tide in about 2 feet of water.. on my second scoop while testing my rig in saltwater. AT pro with the 8X11 coil.. I use the 5x8 all the time on land.

reverse 1853.jpg 1853.jpg

Upvote 10

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!:thumbsup: I've always wanted to find one of those.... still looking. :laughing7:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a fairly unique love token to boot. Most of them simply have the person's initials in fancy script. Great find!!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is too cool!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
CONGRATS ON THE AWESOME LOVE TOKEN! :notworthy:Lady luck was with you today, seated & otherwise! FIND OF A LIFETIME! :icon_thumright: Andi

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats pretty cool!, way to go

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them love tokens, a firend of mine found one some years ago...Cool find....:occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love tokens are awesome. i hope to find one some day. looks like yours was maybe once soldered to something like a pin fastener for use as a brooch, or perhaps it was part of a bracelet.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to see it when THers find love tokens. Each one is unique and special. Congrats on a great recovery.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find!

A love token is still on my list. Trouble is, I don't typically hunt sites that date from the Victorian era so I am not likely to find one except by accident. But--there's always hope!

-Buck

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:cool: Big Congrats on a terrific save!
On my wish list as well .

Those silver engravers were a talented bunch .
:dontknow: Not sure why the reverse of seated silvers was their favorite choice for a " love message " but the idea makes for a thrill sought after by many .

What State are you searching ?

dawg

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love tokens are awesome. i hope to find one some day. looks like yours was maybe once soldered to something like a pin fastener for use as a brooch, or perhaps it was part of a bracelet.

I did see another one online with the same marks on the front, so it might have been soldered to something years ago..:blackbeard:

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhode Island is the state I found it in.. in a salt water cove thats pretty huge..
I would give the exact location but I do want to get back there very soon...I only found brass odd ball stuff that day... this was the only coin..so far

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did see another one online with the same marks on the front, so it might have been soldered to something years ago..:blackbeard:

Yes, it's my understanding that a guy would give one of these to his sweetheart and it would be worn as a brooch. The English love tokens were quite different and were essentially two identical coins that were bent in two places into a shallow "Z" shape in a vise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread