GOLD!! Finally after 14 years of relic hunting I found GOLD!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out yesterday with fellow relic hunter and great friend Harvey. We decided to brave the high 90's with high humidity to test out a new field that the wheat just got cut in that held a lot of Civil War action in 1864. The field held the 6th Corps Army of the Potmac. So, we headed out into the brown stalks and started working a knoll of cedar trees. After walking for about 80 yards with no signals, I finally got a 11-10 on the E-Trac at 6" and pulled two small brass fobs ???. They looked nice and they looked about right for the time period we were searching for, but not what I was actually after lol. No sooner than I took one step I got a solid 11-08 and I thought I had found another one or some junky can slaw. I dug my plug and got the pin pointer out and to my eyes laid the pretty lady in GOLD. I could not believe my eyes, after 14 years of serious relic hunting all over the east coast I finally found the elusive GOLD. I yelled out to Harvey to come over. I pulled it out of the ground and no date :icon_scratch:? I knew it was still a great and rare find regardless. I sent a picture to my trusty friend Nate and he was super excited and got me the I.D. I needed. It is a LOVERS TOKEN!! Date or no date, I had a smile the rest of the day. I finished off kinda slow due to the high heat but managed a few bullets and some small D buckles. After a couple of hours we headed over to Sgt. Rikers and he was very excited to see this coin and took a picture and sent it in to American Digger Magazine...SWEET! Thank you Ran!

The other pictures (white back ground) are from a local hunt a week ago. As you can see, I pulled a ton of Clad from this small Civil War camp that has been turned in to a soccer field. I amnaged a few nice keepers; flower button one piece, bullet, 69 cal round ball, thimble, some odds and ends, small brass items, etc... The old Minelab E-Trac has done me well the past few weeks. Happy hunting to all and stay cool! Vist my Youtube page under Wes-N-VA to see the footage of the past few hunts. Thnaks for looking.

Attachments

• June 2013!! 027.JPG
    June 2013!! 027.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 725
  • June 2013!! 028.JPG
    June 2013!! 028.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 797
  • June 2013!! 039.JPG
    June 2013!! 039.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 993
  • June 2013!! 040.JPG
    June 2013!! 040.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,165
  • June 2013!! 038.JPG
    June 2013!! 038.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 683
  • June 2013!! 023.JPG
    June 2013!! 023.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 651
  • June 2013!! 041.JPG
    June 2013!! 041.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 641
  • June 2013!! 015.JPG
    June 2013!! 015.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 592
  • June 2013!! 005.JPG
    June 2013!! 005.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 580
Upvote 65

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome coin!, got my vote!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vary nice,i have seen silver coin love tokens, but never gold ones...Congrats on an awesome life time find......:occasion14:

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Awesome Gold. Hard to beat a day like that. Congrats to the max! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking gold Love Token, it can't come any better than that one for sure.
Congrats on the find a longtime coming and a memory that will last for many more. :hello2:

BTW The vote is in on this one.:icon_thumright:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something special about finding a love token, maybe because there is a personal connection that one does not experience with finding coins. Finding a love token made of gold is extraordinary--Congrats!!!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Wes! After 14 years of detecting, you deserve it. I'm super excited for your gold coin find, and for it to be a love token on top of that is outstanding! I vote BANNER all the way! Lets see it up top! CONGRATS!!!!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!! I've never seen a gold love Token...that's awesome, WTG!! Vote from me!!

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats. The love token aspect makes this even more special in my mind. Given the time period this was a very, very special keepsake. Got to see this on the banner.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous Gold Love Token! One can only guess at the story behind it. Who lost it, how did they lose it, did they ever make it home? So many questions that can never be answered. Time and good fortune has now passed this artifact on to you.

OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you!

There is something special about finding a love token, maybe because there is a personal connection that one does not experience with finding coins. Finding a love token made of gold is extraordinary--Congrats!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, only if it could talk.

Awesome! Congrats. The love token aspect makes this even more special in my mind. Given the time period this was a very, very special keepsake. Got to see this on the banner.

OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NATE!!! Thank you for replying to my picture text message so fast and giving me the I.D. because I was stumped, after I regained my composure, with no date on the coin. I wish you could have been there brother because that would have made it better since we have hunted together and found a lot of first together also. Rmember the Peace Dollar lol! I think I scared Harvey to death when I saw it in the hole and how I re-acted lol. You know that I usually hold it together pretty well but this baby made me scream lol. When I took it over to Sgt. Rikers he was VERY excited about it and without hesitation asked to photograph it for the American Digger Magazine. Heck, he let me borrow a Blisstool for the rest of the day and for two weeks to field test it. Thanks again for your quick I.D. and feedback, it is priceless brother!

Congratulations Wes! After 14 years of detecting, you deserve it. I'm super excited for your gold coin find, and for it to be a love token on top of that is outstanding! I vote BANNER all the way! Lets see it up top! CONGRATS!!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. There should be lots of info on these love tokens on the web if you want to read about them. They were often initialed in fancy letters. This is quite different than the English love tokens that were not engraved by bent in pairs to make a unique set. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread