1889 IH, Buffalo, 18 wheats, and an amazing spot down the tubes.....

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my new spot today for about an hr before the rain. I was pulling good targets left and right. Dug more wheats than clad today 18 of em!! that is 180 on the year. Plus I got a 1889 TOASTY indian head, and a unidentifiable buff! The buff was in a small spill with 3 wheats. plus the cool token in the one pic. the back says no cash value so its not very old. Like i said, i was pulling targets left and right and then the rain came. I figured heck w it, im already wet so i kept swinging when all of a sudden i hear "excuse me, what are you doing?" from the neighbor looking over the fence. I thought oh boy here we go! I told the neighbor that I got permission from the person living there and she says to me "yeah well they rent off my sister and im on the phone with her right now and you dont have permission" I very politely said im sorry, and no problem, ill leave. The thing is, this same lady saw me detecting on wed. and didnt say a word. I think she called me out because the person who gave me permission (who now i know rents) wasnt home because he said i can go back even if he wasnt there. The thing about me is sometimes i bite my tongue and then get mad when i think im gettin the shaft. I left the guy a note on his door with my # explaining in detail exactly what had happened, and apologized for any future inconvenience it may cause him with his landlord. About a half hr ago I get a call from him and his exact words were " _ _ _ _ that lady!, shes out of her mind, shes a wacko on a bunch of meds!" he said yes he does rent off of the ladies sister and he talked to her about it and she was a little uneasy about some guy digging in her yard but as long as I kept the yard neat (which I always do), she was ok with it. Im pretty sure im not going to go back even though it KILLS me, but i dont feel its worth the hassle, and hostility ill get from the neighbor. Oh well, on to the next spot i guess.Sorry about the book, but It was a pretty interesting story I thought Id share.Thanks for looking and HH!
130628_0000.jpg 130628_0004.jpg 130628_0006.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Nice Finds... But I would be right back in that yard when I got a chance. Maybe you can just find out when the lady is gone, maybe a weekly bingo trip or something. Then just hit again and clean up! Bound to be some silver there with all the old pennies!!!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds... But I would be right back in that yard when I got a chance. Maybe you can just find out when the lady is gone, maybe a weekly bingo trip or something. Then just hit again and clean up! Bound to be some silver there with all the old pennies!!!

I did nab some silver in my earlier 2 hunts there, total from the site is 64 wheats (including a 09vdb) a 38 washington quarter, a 1950 and 1964 roosie also. I want to go back but that lady is quite the character giving me all kind of attitude like im some sort of filth and shes so much better than me. Plus i dont want the guys landlord to get mad at him

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's a lot of wheats from one site. I'd be amped up to get back there too. It's a shame that woman decided to make it her business when you already had permission from her sister. I'm sure she exaggerated what you were doing to her sister....probably said you had a back-hoe in there digging 10 foot deep holes.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's a lot of wheats from one site. I'd be amped up to get back there too. It's a shame that woman decided to make it her business when you already had permission from her sister. I'm sure she exaggerated what you were doing to her sister....probably said you had a back-hoe in there digging 10 foot deep holes.

yeah probably, i dunno. Im so meticulous at private properties its almost like i have ocd.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the old lady some flowers and talk to her maybe she will let you dig her yard .:laughing7:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cjon455? I got ya one better. I had a contractor on a lawnmower come up to me the other day and tell me I could no longer hunt the yard he was taking care of, he said him and the owner didn't like people lousing up his yardwork.

I said ok. Walked around to the back door and asked the owner who gave me permission what this contractor had just said. I told him if he wanted me to leave, no problem, I'll be gone. He said "Come with me."

We walked around to the front yard, stopped the contractor on his lawnmower and called him over.

The owner asked him if he told me that, he said yeah but he thought that's what the owner wanted.

The owner told me, you go hunt til your heart's content. Then he turned back to the contractor and told him, "You're fired! Get off my property and don't come back."

Nice to have "TRUE" permission ain't it? :)

I would suggest that you get the owner's number or let the guy get her on the phone and you talk directly to her. Ask her for a small hand written permission slip to show to anyone asking.

Then, next time you see the neighbor, just smile at her and nod. LOL

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang!, thats a bit rougher than my story, all i had was a mean chick on a power trip lol

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cjon, I've never had quite the same situation but have been backstabbed by relatives/realtors/all kinds of jerks over the years. They don't want anyone else getting anything that they're too lazy/stupid to get for themselves.The damn moronic t.v. shows don't help with the bad image they present of us legitimate detectorists. Don't let it get you down,maybe the next place will be the one where you find the bank w/ gold coins! Remember,tell NO ONE but show us the best ONE! Ha Ha

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about uneducated haters ruining your spot! Last year I saw a huge empty lot beside another yard I was detecting. I went to the house and explained my hobby and asked if I could detect the lot. The lady looked at me like I was scum, said all sorts of stupid and harsh things. The best was that she was going to detect it herself. I said thanks anyway, and left. Just a few weeks ago, I was detecting around an old church ( with permission of course), and this same lady drove by, stopped, and began to question me about what specific things I had found on the church property, what I was intending to do with my finds, who gave permission etc. She was very upset, I could tell she was going to go call the mayor or church people or something.

I told her that despite the fact that the spot (and likely her lot too) had been seriously hunted 25 years ago, I managed to dig up a 1942 penny. I told her that was my best find for the day. She seemed to mellow a bit. I told her if I found something valuable I would make a small donation to the church. I told her I love history, and have no interest in selling my finds. I told her how excited I get when I find something that a pioneer in our small town may have dropped! I asked if she had done her yard yet, she said no. I offered to give her some pointers if she ever wanted. I also surprised her with my knowledge of the history around me, what buildings used to be here, when they were demolished, etc. I also mentioned that I was going to help a group of people (all first timers) detect a spot where the town fair used to set up. (these folks live far away, but originally from here, and are having some sort of homecoming reunion).

At the end of all this, that moronic woman actually said to me "well...sounds like fun...good luck", and drove away. I don't think she'll bother me again.

Some people CAN'T STAND the thought of someone else getting ahead in life. They can't let you detect, because the thought of you finding something good kills them. They are nosy, mouthy, bossy, and usually the local drama queen/king.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people CAN'T STAND the thought of someone else getting ahead in life. They can't let you detect, because the thought of you finding something good kills them. They are nosy, mouthy, bossy, and usually the local drama queen/king.

I couldnt have said it better myself. Thats exactly what I was thinking about this lady. This is the 3rd time I hit this spot and she absolutely saw me the other two times. In fact her husband was talking to me over the fence and sounded very interested. I think she just got mad because i was finding cool stuff and even though she doesnt detect it bothered her for some reason! The renter who lives there called me again last night and said he worked it out w/ the landlord and I can come back when ever I want, but im going to make sure hes home first to save the headache

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt have said it better myself. Thats exactly what I was thinking about this lady. This is the 3rd time I hit this spot and she absolutely saw me the other two times. In fact her husband was talking to me over the fence and sounded very interested. I think she just got mad because i was finding cool stuff and even though she doesnt detect it bothered her for some reason! The renter who lives there called me again last night and said he worked it out w/ the landlord and I can come back when ever I want, but im going to make sure hes home first to save the headache

That's a rule of mine. Unless I have written permission, (that I could show), I won't hunt anyone's property without them being home.

I'm glad you're getting to go back, but, I would definitely touch base with the actual owner, yourself. Then, you're not working with a third party who's actually the permission giver and never directly contacted.

It sounds like a site worth fighting to keep.

HH!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... explained my hobby and asked if I could detect the lot. The lady looked at me like I was scum...

I'm sorry, but as soon as I got that kind of look, I would've turned on my heel and walked off with no explanation. After all, what can one expect from "scum". ;)

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but as soon as I got that kind of look, I would've turned on my heel and walked off with no explanation. After all, what can one expect from "scum". ;)

HH!

yeah we are scum, spending thousands on a hobby that retrieves us dollars lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread