Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool piece, never seen one - big congrats!

How much do you think it might be worth (shame the countermarked eagle is faint)?

I would guess $3,000-$4,000.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BB! What a find! I love to see these spanish silvers on here, but you got the icing on the cake! What i told you about the effort you put into your hunts.... :notworthy:

You were right! Cheers,

BB

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool piece, never seen one - big congrats!

How much do you think it might be worth (shame the countermarked eagle is faint)?

Buckleboy's find is a super find, no doubt about that. I never heard of this counterstamp and after doing some research, wow, it is a goodie There was one sold at auction (Heritage) for over 6 grand, but the counterstamp was in superb condition, but still, with the rarity I am sure it would be a nice amount if ever sold.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
That is one awesome find. I am so happy for you because you work hard at researching and digging. You deserve a great find.
Congrats
Doug

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome find. I am so happy for you because you work hard at researching and digging. You deserve a great find.
Congrats
Doug

Well, you're a tough act to follow, Mr. CSA and Texas Republic button! :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy's find is a super find, no doubt about that. I never heard of this counterstamp and after doing some research, wow, it is a goodie There was one sold at auction (Heritage) for over 6 grand, but the counterstamp was in superb condition, but still, with the rarity I am sure it would be a nice amount if ever sold.

Thanks so much for your reply, Don. It's so nice to get a great find. I've gotten nice bits from time to time, but nothing ever in this league.

Cheers,

Buckles

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SUPER COOL FIND!!

my banner vote is in!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your 4th Banner BB!!! You work very hard for the relics and coins you recover. Members of Tnet have no idea of the rigors of hunting in the LA summer. As I have stated many times, the Canefield Bandits deserve every coin & relic they recover. HH, Q.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! I always know when I see you posting something, it's gonna be good.

Last edited:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Buckles, I know I already posted on your GREAT find, but you had not made the BANNER then, so I had to post again to say CONGRATULATIONS on making a well deserved BANNER!!! :) Breezie

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to top this. Pretty freakin' amazing! Congrats on the banner!!!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Congratulations! If anybody deserves a find like that you do! By the way, in your video, was expecting a southern accent, but you have none. Where you from? Also, when you were quoting prices on a PB counterstamped Reale, I thought those prices were for an uncut specimen. Then reading about the one found in Mississippi I was surprised they fetch that kind of dough even being cut. A truly awesome find!

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really outdid yourself this time, congrats! What an outstanding piece to add to your collection, and it can only go up in value.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a find and a day that you'll cherish for many years, congrats on the great cut silver and the well deserved Banner.:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread