Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! That is an instant banner find! Your heart must have been racing..a find well deserved for sure with your trying and patience...Congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! That is an instant banner find! Your heart must have been racing..a find well deserved for sure with your trying and patience...Congrats!

My heart is STILL racing!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Any part of a 8 reales is a good find, with a counterstamp makes it a great find! I love counter stamped coins and tokens, they have a unique history all on their own, much more than the coin they originally were.
Super find!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any part of a 8 reales is a good find, with a counterstamp makes it a great find! I love counter stamped coins and tokens, they have a unique history all on their own, much more than the coin they originally were.
Super find!

Very true. It's also nice to feel the heft of that silver. Aside from digging a US half or dollar, there's nothing else like it--and even the US coins cannot compete with the history in most cases.

Cheers,

Buck

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding something you've been wanting to find. And a rare one at that. :thumbup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but many congrats Buck on what should without a doubt be your banner find #4. That's an awesome piece even without the counterstamp. But with it I'd call that a historically significant find. I know Diggergirl's efforts got lost in all the excitement, but was curious as to how she did in that pit.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy, you have been on fire lately! Now, I am going to have to get out in this heat and find me some goodies. LOL

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but many congrats Buck on what should without a doubt be your banner find #4. That's an awesome piece even without the counterstamp. But with it I'd call that a historically significant find. I know Diggergirl's efforts got lost in all the excitement, but was curious as to how she did in that pit.

She got a couple of slicks and one embossed medicine, along with an ink well and some pieces we are going to try and reconstruct. :)

If folks will nominate, this one does belong up top. Been a while since my last banner find, for sure. But either way I'm thrilled to dig it, and the banner doesn't add to or detract from that excitement one bit.

Cheers,

Buck

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great BANNER find my friend!! Would love to hear what type of culinary delights you celebrated with!! ;)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!I have dug an 8r,and been with buds and watched em dig counterstamped coins,but one still eludes me.To dig one with a RARE stamp,is off the charts.Congrats doesnt even touch it my friend!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good coin!! Do those spoons have a makers mark on the back? One of them looks like it could be a William Rogers Spoon "WM Rogers"

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooo Hoooo Buckles on an AWESOME find . . . . .a part of a 8 reales with Nawleans COUNTERSTAMP!!! :thumbsup: I know you can't wait to get back ASAP! It's amazing to me how we can hunt an area and then find a find of a lifetime in the same area. It just goes to show you, no area is really hunted-out. CONGRATULATIONS, and now go find some more!!!
:)
Breezie

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very big congratulations to you on the counterstamp reale!!! A significant historical and personal touch to and already awesome coin! When you get excited about something is has to be good. :laughing7: I will vote BANNER for this one too. :occasion14:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 bits to 5 Gs sounds like a banner to me too.

Perserverance does pay off remembering a recent 24 hour hunt you had in 100 degree heat with not so much to show for it.
Congrats on a rare well deserved find.

You know on any other day those Silver spoons, and a barber would have made for a good hunt.

I see another member DFX Kevin found a similar in march, his had the two counter marks on opposite sides of the piece. He didn't get many replies either ?

Now I'll be having dreams and digging holes in the mattress. You got the "BIG ONE" maybe I'll get one too.

Banner vote in.

Question will you keep or sell ?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a BANNER for sure BB. The most amazing thing about your hunt is that Diggergirl stayed awake on the way home-LOL. She was excited about digging bottles I guess.
Note-If you want to see this on BANNER as I do, you must click on "Nominate banner" amnd tell WHY it shoud be considered for banner. The other finds were encouraging as well. WTG Will & HH, Q.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Banner BB!:icon_thumleft: I'm shaking with you. A cut reale was something that I really wanted to find and last summer finally found a nice cut pistareen that is so small and was pretty hard to find with my pinpointer. It was a thrill to find it so I can only imagine how you feel digging that "8". And counterstruke at that, man the process that it has been through and the history and just waiting for you to dig it up. Fantastic Find!!!

Here's a look at my quarter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 146

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread