Old amusement park hunt

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody! Had a chance to get a few hours in at a new place today. I’ve been researching this site for a while. It used to have a huge amusement park that was dubbed “ the worlds largest” and named Riverview Park. It ran from 1904 until 1967 when it was abruptly closed and torn down. There are still the foundations of the chutes ride and a few others. That’s where I was per the map. Very little of the original 72 acres are still available to the public. But the small section that has been turned into a parks department run bmx track. They have HUGE piles of dirt from the surrounding area and I can metal detect it openly. Although it’s been trashed for years, I’m hoping to get more out of it on the next visit.
I spent a lot of the time checking it out, chatting with some ladies looking for marbles, and got some more great info. Going to plan a day trip for sure.
So in total.. I got a bunch of clad and a tin bear charm. But look at those amusement park parts!!!
I haven’t been including all of what I consider junk but I figured I would this time. That stuff could have been on a roller coaster or some other crazy ride!! Helped entertain millions of people ;)
Thanks for looking and good luck :icon_thumright:
Riverview - 1950's

Attachments

• 7-1 riverview first hunt.jpg
    7-1 riverview first hunt.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 1
S

stefen

Check around the bottom of chutes and ride entrances and exits...(that is if they are visible)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should be lots of silver in a place like that...if it hasn't been plundered too bad. Being that it is so large it could have been hunted many times, and still be a good site. Good luck on your return.

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the input and the positive vibes.. I think I'll be spending the early half of my 4th of July there.
I can make out the entrance to the chutes pretty clearly. In those days, people had to pay at each ride before getting on. The chutes were 20 cents per ride in the 50's. I think a low estimate would be 1,000,000,000 different people crossed that spot with change in their pockets. I LOVE those odds!!
If it has been hunted 1000 times in the last 40 years, I suspect there was way more dropped then has ever been found. There is also so much junk, if people did hunt there, they were very sloppy about it. I'm gonna bring my big shovel this time and see what I can find. Considering doing a video of the place. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again and good luck :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions