DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED2

D

dugupfinds

My Dad joined the hunt today & used my back-up machine. We had to find somewhere new to do as I had finished the Sheep Field & Bullet Field. We drove to 1 farm but the grass was too long. So my dad suggested another field which had be eaten down flat by more sheep.

Normally I choose the hunt area but being a huge field I let him choose. He decided we should do the furthest corner.

As it got dark all we had were a few bits, the highlights being:

Broken Tudor Clothes fastener.
Medieval Coin Weight
Very worn Lizy Hammered silver coin
A roman Coin (not pictured as I left it around my dads to clean). Rang me and identified it as:
AE4 of Honorius AD395-423 (Roman's left Britain in 410)
Rev: Victory advancing left carrying trophy & dragging captive with Chi-Rho in field
This is my latest Roman Bronze coin!

On the way back to the car we kept our detectors on. Half way there I heard Dad get a good signal. After he dug it I said "Any good". No just a chisel thingy. So I carried on back to the car thinking it was iron rubbish. When we got there he was sorting out the rubbish & throwing it in the hedge. I looked over his shoulder and saw what I have only dreamed of finding. A Bronze Age Axe head. I picked it up & said "You know what this is". He said "well I wondered but it seemed to well made". ;D

Needs more research but it dates to about 1500BC thats 3500 years old!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Here is a similar type in a museum:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ges?q=bronze+age+axe+head&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

Attachments

• bits.JPG
    bits.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,138
  • bronze age axe head.JPG
    bronze age axe head.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,125
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Re: DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED

Mona Lisa said:
That Roman coin is tiny, isn't it? :o

They get alot smaller, some are only 25% of the size shown. They were produced in the later Roman years & carried around in bags which they weighed instead of counting. If they dropped a few they probably didn't even bother bending down!

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Finally recorded the Axehead after the FLO came back from holiday.

They were not as interested as I expected. They are not interested in Protecting the site as its not of National Interest & its so badly destroyed by ploughing.

So I will display my relica (see below) in the Local Museum because it will probably get more interest here.

Attachments

• copy of axe.JPG
    copy of axe.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 699

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Does that mean anything you pull out of that site, now, you don't need to tell them about it?

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Kas said:
Cool. Does that mean anything you pull out of that site, now, you don't need to tell them about it?

I didn't have to tell them about this axehead. I did it because its, in my opinion, a important historical find. We still have to report things which fall under the terms of the Act. However what it does mean is that we can continue detecting the area.

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Skrimpy said:
Wow! That Axehead cleaned up great! Looks brand new!

I never clean things like that. Its a replica I had made using bronze & Bronze Age Technology. 1 for the farmer & 1 for the Local Museum.

Shows he make a good copy though!

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
dugfinds said:

They were not as interested as I expected. They are not interested in Protecting the site as its not of National Interest & its so badly destroyed by ploughing.

So I will display my relica (see below) in the Local Museum because it will probably get more interest here.

I think that is great that you're going to put it in the local museum for everyone to enjoy! Congrats and best of luck!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
dugfinds said:

Plough's only go so deep, (a foot deep at most). What else might be down just below the depth of what your MD can currently reach? I'd be thinking along the lines of a larger seach coil and if looking for burial locations, maybe seismic, infrared, GPR, or other technology. Thats if you think you can justify the expense.

Sure sounds interesting though.

F.

B

BIG61AL

Amazing is an understatement. This really needs to be submitted as a best find of 2007. I want to see this in the magazine next year. I am just stunned!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions