DAY1 HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>UPDATED2

D

dugupfinds

My Dad joined the hunt today & used my back-up machine. We had to find somewhere new to do as I had finished the Sheep Field & Bullet Field. We drove to 1 farm but the grass was too long. So my dad suggested another field which had be eaten down flat by more sheep.

Normally I choose the hunt area but being a huge field I let him choose. He decided we should do the furthest corner.

As it got dark all we had were a few bits, the highlights being:

Broken Tudor Clothes fastener.
Medieval Coin Weight
Very worn Lizy Hammered silver coin
A roman Coin (not pictured as I left it around my dads to clean). Rang me and identified it as:
AE4 of Honorius AD395-423 (Roman's left Britain in 410)
Rev: Victory advancing left carrying trophy & dragging captive with Chi-Rho in field
This is my latest Roman Bronze coin!

On the way back to the car we kept our detectors on. Half way there I heard Dad get a good signal. After he dug it I said "Any good". No just a chisel thingy. So I carried on back to the car thinking it was iron rubbish. When we got there he was sorting out the rubbish & throwing it in the hedge. I looked over his shoulder and saw what I have only dreamed of finding. A Bronze Age Axe head. I picked it up & said "You know what this is". He said "well I wondered but it seemed to well made". ;D

Needs more research but it dates to about 1500BC thats 3500 years old!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Here is a similar type in a museum:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ges?q=bronze+age+axe+head&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

Attachments

• bits.JPG
    bits.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,137
  • bronze age axe head.JPG
    bronze age axe head.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,124
Upvote 0

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Re: DAY 1 on the HUGE FIELD........<<AMAZING FIND>>

you aren't even kiddin'!!!!! I would have lost consiousness, boy it's gonna be tough showin' up your old man now !!!

Laird

Dec 30, 2006
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

well done dad thats a crackin find mate i bet you were both chuffed to bits with it.and it nearly ended up a gift to the hedge god as well. LOL

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WAY TO GO MATE!!!!! Fantastic finds there. Thanks for sharing a great story and pictures.
-MM-

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

That’s amazing. What great finds.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds!!! That axe head is about as old as it gets and it is in very nice condition considering it could be as old as 4000 years. Bronze Age axe head is on my list, I did get lucky last year with a Bronze Age bronze bar used for trade. Thanks for the post and pictures! HH, Mike

number2

May 13, 2005

where in the word are you looking to find this bronze age stuff the states or europe

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

What a rare find, WOOOHOOOO for you and your father! Those last minute finds always seem to be the best.
You two have a reason to celebrate. ;)

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome finds!!! That axe head is about as old as it gets and it is in very nice condition considering it could be as old as 4000 years. Bronze Age axe head is on my list, I did get lucky last year with a Bronze Age bronze bar used for trade. Thanks for the post and pictures! HH, Mike

It was on my wish list but unlike the other items on my list I thought it impossible. Although my dad found it only 3-4inches deep (Previously ploughed field), he lets me keep all that he finds (when he detects with me) :). He never started detecting until I started finding good stuff.

Can't wait to show the farmer.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow - nice~

HH

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

LOL, and your pop about threw it in a hedge. I think you better keep an eye on your pops find from now on.

T

TreasureTales

Nice finds, and the axe head is excellent. Certainly is small, isn't it. Wonder what they chopped with something that size? Anyhow, good thing you checked your dad's stuff before you chucked it. Do you always toss your junk in the hedgerows?

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

I got goosebumps just looking at it.

Another excellent museum piece.

Congratulations!

Ridley

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

TreasureTales said:
Nice finds, and the axe head is excellent. Certainly is small, isn't it. Wonder what they chopped with something that size? Anyhow, good thing you checked your dad's stuff before you chucked it. Do you always toss your junk in the hedgerows?

Mostly the iron junk. I recycle the lead.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: DAY 1 the HUGE FIELD<<AMAZING FIND 3500 YEARS OLD>>

that ax is awesome, i live in Michigan and have read that the Celtic, Norseman and Phoenicians were getting copper out of the copper country here, roman swords, viking axes and some Turkish statues and of coarse Celtic prayer stones, Phoenician coins found on Isle Royal, have all been found in the UP of Michigan. make you wonder, though main stream science doesn't believe this to be possible

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OUTSTANDING! Congratulations, that's a HUGE find!

Nat

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

TreasureTales said:

Its one of the smallest I have seen. I think it must have been for finer work like small branches or wood shaping as it would take for ever to cut a tree down.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Wow!!!
That's older than dirt!
Literally!
WTG!!!!

Top Member Reactions