Latest Cold Weather finds from Cleveland, OH

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Itā€™s been a little cold here in Cleveland the last couple weeks. We had a couple days here and there where itā€™s been not too bad(30ish). We have been fortunate that those days have come on the weekends.

Last weekend Nate and I took the long ride with Danimal to the old campground. Managed to find a couple silver, a 1904 Indian head and some wheat pennies. I was happy considering the place has been hunted fairly well. Our first plan was to go up on the hill where we hear they went drinking ā€“ the less obvious spot that might still be virgin. We quickly bailed out on that plan as the targets were far and few between. So we did the obvious spots and the fringes of the obvious spots and got some keepers there.

Yesterday, Nate and I headed out to the ā€˜Berg. It had been in the twenties the few days prior to Saturday so some spots were frozen up to about an inch. Places that had adequate leaf cover required no chiseling but the other spots required a little force to break through. Overall we had a decent day. Lots of wheat pennies and a few silver. It was funny because I told Nate that it reminded me of fishing ā€“ coming home with 129 wheat pennies after being out in the cold and wind for 6 hours, I really didnā€™t feel like cleaning the coins. So I waited until today. Upon cleaning I was happy to find a 1909 VDB. Not really a key date but still a fun find.

For those following the Iceberg story I separated the finds from this trip and posted the picture in the Iceberg thread:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,52388.400.html

Bob

Attachments

• Max400.jpg
    Max400.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 679
  • Totals Jan 27 2007c.jpg
    Totals Jan 27 2007c.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 675
  • Totals Jan 27 2007 silver800.jpg
    Totals Jan 27 2007 silver800.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 667
  • 1909 and such close up800.jpg
    1909 and such close up800.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
That's a great find for this time of year. It is 15F here with steady snow - and more snow in the forecast for 6 of the next 7 days. It may be the spring thaw before I get out again...

HH
Joe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul~

HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Bob,

Kinda frozen at the Iceberg? Looks to me like y'all had a good haul. ;D ;D ;D

Why couldn't my 1942 war nickel be like yours :'( :'(

;) RR

B.RATNY

Greenie
Aug 18, 2006
Upstate NY
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Nice going Bob, Great that your still out digging, our ground is froze up good. It sure was a nice long season. Counting the days till' spring ;D
HH Butch NY

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Your dedication is inspiring!

Ridley

D

damz68

As always nice finds.
You do a very good job at cleaning those wheats. How do you get them to look so good?

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
damz68 said:
As always nice finds.
You do a very good job at cleaning those wheats. How do you get them to look so good?

Normally our wheat pennies do not turn out very well. This site the soil is more humus and has less clay. I soak the coins in amonia for a minute then brush with a Q-tip. Then rinse with water and soak in olive oil for at least a few hours. Then wipe clean.

Bob

W

WEIM

Hey Bob,

I'm new to this form. I am from Columbia Station, next to Strongsville, next to Berea.

Billy

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 542

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! Have you got your lab trained to dig your targets? I wish I had a good relic dog. We have a bunch of those Missouri leg hounds here! Tsgman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread