R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is old. The new section where I found the bottles was added in 1820-1830.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very cool. I like the old toothbrush. Is it bone or celluloid? Either way it is a turn of the century example. The Bromo's are very common especially in your neck of the woods. The corked tube in the last pic is broken I take it?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm loving those old bottles. The large blue ones would make some fierce patio lanterns. :headbang:

OP
OP
R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what the toothbrush is made of. A corked tube is broken. There is a lot of broken glass there.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Awesome finds! That is quite a bottle haul and so many unbroken!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what the toothbrush is made of. A corked tube is broken. There is a lot of broken glass there.
Take a close look at it with a magnifying glass. Here- distinguish bone, ivory and celluloid

This is for gambling chips and memorabilia but it works for any item really.

BTW- I like the bottles too. I probably have 3 dozen of the Bromo's in all different sizes, a counter display, ice bucket, matchbooks, note pads, drinking glasses, etc. I'm from P.G. county originally. They were based out of Baltimore. When I first started collecting things years ago, Bromo Seltzer was one of them.

Last edited:

DanKnug

Jun 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumb question here...why did people of yore throw trash (bottles, broken plates, etc) in their crawl space? ???

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Gosh, I just want to grab those bottles and start cleaning them Ruslanmd!
killingme.gif
Thanks for sharing...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick & dirty test. Take a pin or needle heat it with a lighter until it's almost red. Poke a tiny (very very tiny) hole in it smell the smoke. If it smells like burned hair it's bone or ivory, melted plastic = celluloid. Take a magnifier & look at it if it's bone you'll see pores.

DanKnug = Can you think of a better way to get cats coons & critters out from under your bedroom? Second do you think the wife is gonna crawl down there to find your booze - er ah... Medicine bottles?

OP
OP
R

Ruslanmd

Jan 24, 2013
Trappe, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back to crawl space. I hope to find more stuff today.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, very cool. I like the old toothbrush. Is it bone or celluloid? Either way it is a turn of the century example. The Bromo's are very common especially in your neck of the woods. The corked tube in the last pic is broken I take it?

Yeah, with the size of that thing, no wonder folks back in the 1800's had such big teeth!:evil6:LOL!!!

Frank

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is old. The new section where I found the bottles was added in 1820-1830.

Hello Ruslanmd,

These bottles appear to be from the last couple decades of the 19th Century. I'd take this as a sign that there may be older goodies buried outta sight. I've seen some great bottles come from crawl spaces. Is this an under the house crawl, or under the porch?

The tooth brush is bone. The "Extra Fine Quality" refers to the bristles. Have a look at this Loeser & Co. ad from 1903 (left column. 3/4 of the way down the page, under "Toilet Articles") Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Sunday February 8, 1903.

Is the 5th from the left, small clear glass bottle, a Red Dragon Seltzer, by chance? I do admire that wonderfully silver iridescent guy in the middle. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys a bit cleaner... and of course your next group of finds...

Dumb question here...why did people of yore throw trash (bottles, broken plates, etc) in their crawl space? ???

Hey Dan,

There was no garbage collection in most places, until well into the 20th Century. People had to burn it, bury it, or throw it over the fence, or down the crawl space, lest they be overwhelmed.

AB48F319399B449983B3A6B1FF8A8D8B.jpg

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew that surf good info, I did hear that when public trash removal started alot of people threw the stuff in the rivers to avoid being charged to remove it.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loving the bottles and the pretty pin with the green patina. I would risk getting spider webs in my hair for such neat relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread