My 1st effort

zerowatts

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
MS.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first trip out may not have lasted long or been very eventful but it was meant to be a learning experience more than anything else and an opportunity to learn about how to use a metal detector. I went to a local park and spent a lot of time digging for useless trash items, but it is part of the learning experience. My few items are an old nail with a rectangular head, a 1957 nickel, and what may be a ball bearing of some type which surprisingly weighs about 14 ounces. Looking forward to my next outing 100_0562.JPG

Upvote 6

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my average is 30 pieces of crap to one item i keep...... keep on digging..... is that a pinball?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby! I can remember my first old coin find was a 1903 Indian head cent that I found in the grass strip of a parking lot in 1992. Just wait til' you find your first OLD coin! Gotta start somewhere! Happy Hunting! :icon_thumleft:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice start.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey Watts this is a great hobby and i see your enjoying it ...just remember dig those pull tabs signals i been MDing a while.
So the other day i went to the park meaning to dig 100 pull tab signals yep got 101 pull tabs all types, 2 in 1 hole.
I got a 5 gal.bucket half full of tabs and a 55 gal.drum half filled with scrap iron and such just this year.and will fill it i do every year and more ...and i find some nice stuff just have fun HH
Gary

OP
OP
Z

zerowatts

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
MS.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha yes ace I believe it is a plnball. It looked familiar but could not figure out what it was

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crap, you got a nickle first time out? All I do is purify the soil. No one seems to have ever dropped anything around me. I can only assume they had velcro pockets

OP
OP
Z

zerowatts

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
MS.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not think about all the pull tabs and iron from old farm equipment I found. I will start keeping these things and taking to the salvage yard. I am disabled and need any income I can get. Thanks for opening my eyes to something that was right in front of my face yet l did not see it.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr ZW...welcome to Tnet....hats off to you for not letting a disability keep you from a great hobby:hello2:...I am an old guy, unemployed for almost a year now and need all the income i can find as well...my best find today was a 9 inch long piece of good size copper tubing!!! Not as pretty as a silver coin but goes into my copper box just the same :icon_thumright:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hey Zero, let me give you another opinion on that ball.
When I was a kid we played with marbles and one game we played standing up and in the grass was one where someone threw out a marble and someone else would try to hit it.
If you did hit it you got to keep it if it was the same size.
Some marbles were larger and we called these "Boulders", were more accurate when throwing and were worth more so if you were going after someone's boulder you would have to hit it multiple times in a row to capture it.
"Steelies" were marble sized stainless steel bearings and were also worth more and also were a little more accurate when you threw them, and the most prized possession of all was a steelie boulder because they were so rare.
You had to smack this thing a lot to even dream about getting one for your collection, and you had to hope you didn't break a bunch of regular glass marbles in the attempt.
If you did manage to capture one this was a proud moment indeed, and you were happy for a long time after while the previous owner was very sad.

This might be one of those steelie boulders.

I have found about $800 in clad in my time, some relics, older coins, silver coins and way more than my share of silver and gold jewelry, but I have never found one of these.
If I ever did, that would be a proud moment in my career for sure, and you did it on your first trip out.
Congratz newb...good one!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zerowatts

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
MS.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I barely remember playing marbles as a kid and did not play much. I don't remember playing with anyone who had a steelie. You have raised my curiosity and I am gunna check it out further. It is the size of a pinball so I just accepted that is what it was. Don't know how big steelies are but I do remember some marbles being really large or maybe they seemed bigger when I was little. The big ones were too big for my small hand to shoot, I do remember that.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I barely remember playing marbles as a kid and did not play much. I don't remember playing with anyone who had a steelie. You have raised my curiosity and I am gunna check it out further. It is the size of a pinball so I just accepted that is what it was. Don't know how big steelies are but I do remember some marbles being really large or maybe they seemed bigger when I was little. The big ones were too big for my small hand to shoot, I do remember that.

Steelies came in all sizes, what you got there is a big one if this indeed was used in marble games.
Large marbles of any kind are also called "Shooters", due to their accuracy when throwing.

Attachments

• mar.jpg
    mar.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 91
  • marb.jpg
    marb.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 90
  • marbles steel.jpg
    marbles steel.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 69

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread