WOO HOO, broke my silver drought with heaviest ring yet!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually don't get further then the same old local park, so I don't get many silver items, Today got a big clear signal on the GTP that read dead on half dollar, at one inch deep. At only an inch I was hoping clad Kennedy and not aluminum can. Dug a very small plug and saw this in the side of the hole. From that angle it looked like the end of a steel pipe, and I was bummed...but after brushing some dirt off, I saw the cross and it was a ring after all, ( marked STER)...Yes! :occasion18:

Got home and it weighed in at 16 grams, A whopper, (in my book at least). heaviest ring ever for me, been a long time since my last ring. In the picture it is sitting on a US quarter, it's the same diameter as a quarter...thanks for looking, HH

_DSC0018 (1024x678).jpg 0717131502.jpg

Upvote 7

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
JunkShopFiddler

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, all...this ring is noticeably heavier in your hand than a silver half dollar...At least the cross may mean the big fellow who wore this ring was a non-violent religious man!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find ! That is a welcome chunk of silver for sure - Other than the sterling mark , is there a hallmark inside ? possibly a
J A with a candelabra (James Avery ?)

OP
OP
JunkShopFiddler

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find ! That is a welcome chunk of silver for sure - Other than the sterling mark , is there a hallmark inside ? possibly a
J A with a candelabra (James Avery ?)

Nope, all smooth inside but for the ster mark.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunk of silver there "YUM" !

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't that a kick! You uncover what looks like a pipe end and find out it's a WONDERFUL, large silver ring! Then, other times, you find this gold colored disc peeking out of the hole and it turns out to be brass washer. It's a wonder that more of us aren't found keeled over out there. Dead of a heart attack. LOL

NICE ring!
HH!

OP
OP
JunkShopFiddler

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ain't that a kick! You uncover what looks like a pipe end and find out it's a WONDERFUL, large silver ring! Then, other times, you find this gold colored disc peeking out of the hole and it turns out to be brass washer. It's a wonder that more of us aren't found keeled over out there. Dead of a heart attack. LOL

NICE ring!
HH!

That's a fact! I think that's what keeps me going with this hobby...First it's YES!!! ...then... no, wait it's plated...DARN IT!!! Then, DARN THAT CHUCKY CHEESE...no wait, It is a depression era trade token!!!

The other day I dug up the top of an old ornate salt shaker...dug some dirt out of it and saw the first two letters of "STERLING" inside, "YES!", and did the happy dance until I remembered that STAINLESS also starts with ST...cleaned out more dirt...DARN IT!!! ...you never know.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring...that thing is a chunk...congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions